Help installing an ecobee 4 with a c wire and a PEK

Old 05-14-18, 04:30 PM
Help installing an ecobee 4 with a c wire and a PEK

I installed my ecobee4 last fall and thought everything was working fine but now it's hot outside and my AC unit won't come on. Fan is blowing, but outdoor compressor doesn't power up at all. I'm suspecting it has something to do with my lack of DIY skills, so I took another look at my ecobee installation.
I had an unused C wire at my t-stat but it was too short to use and I couldn't pull it out so I decided to proceed with the PEK instead. Followed the instructions and all seemed to work.
Now I'm noticing that there is a lonely blue wire in the furnace (I think coming from the AC compressor?) just hanging out, not attached to anything. That's bad, right?
Question is, can I stick that c wire somewhere to get the compressor hooked up? Can I bypass the PEK for just that wire? Or do I need to rip the whole thing out, start over, lengthen the existing t-stat C wire and not use the PEK?
Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-18, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I need to see all splices clearly. Reorient the PEK so I can see how it's connected. Try pulling the splices apart a little more so I can see them individually. Post several large pictures so I can see detail.

Not sure what's going on with that transformer but if those are exposed high voltage connections you'd better insulate them.

I see the A/C condenser cable. I see yellow and blue in use. I see yellow connected to yellow splice correctly. I see the blue connected to the PEK but not C in the air handler.

Name:  ac1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  40.8 KB

Old 05-14-18, 04:54 PM
Thanks for getting back to me, you're faster than ecobee support, who I called more than an hour ago! I took more pictures, hope they're easier to see. And I should mention, I didn't do all that splicing, it was like that when I bought the house 5 years ago, but now I'm nervous that it's just hanging out like that. Should I do something about that?
Thanks!

Attached Images    
Old 05-14-18, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
What terminal is the blue from the ribbon cable connected to ? Something 3 ?
It should be on C.

Old 05-14-18, 05:06 PM
It's called C(3), sorry you can't see that in the photo, but I just went and double checked.

Old 05-14-18, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.

The blue wire from the splice to the PKE is not used. The blue wire that goes to the A/C condenser gets connected to the C/3 terminal.

Old 05-14-18, 05:16 PM
So I should swap the blue wire coming out of the PKE for the blue wire from the AC? Or do they both get connected in the same spot?

Old 05-14-18, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
There are 4 wires going from the PKE to the thermostat. C or blue is not one of them. Only the blue from the ribbon cable goes to C. That blue wire in that 5 wire cable is not needed.

However.... the blue wire that goes to the cable I labeled condenser back in post 2 needs to go to the C connection on the board.

It would really be ideal to use the blue wire to that stat and not have to use the PKE.

Old 05-14-18, 05:31 PM
Sorry for being dense, but there are 4 wires going into the PKE and 5 coming out, the PKE is the ribbon wire in my photo. So if both the blue coming out of the PKE and the blue coming from the condenser need to go in the same spot, does that mean it can't work this way? I'm willing to re-do the whole thing or pay someone else to, if necessary, but if there's a way to get it to work for a few days, I'd take it! I'm sweating like crazy here!

Old 05-14-18, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
No.... there are 5 wires (ribbon cable) going in to the PKE from the control board and 4 going to the thermostat. There is only W, Y, G and R going from the PKE to the ecobee stat.

There will not be a wire on C at the ecobee.

The blue wire that goes to the condenser cable goes to C. That's it.

Name:  ecobee3 - PKE_color.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  29.1 KB

Old 05-14-18, 05:59 PM
So both the blue wire to the condenser and the blue wire to the PKE need to go in the same spot on the control board? In the diagram, they look like they're both going to C on the control board.

Old 05-14-18, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... it's the blue of the ribbon cable.... not the extra one you have in that brown 5 wire cable.
You will have two wires on the C terminal.

You would have two on the Y terminal also but you spliced them before the board which is ok.

Old 05-14-18, 06:15 PM
Ahhhh, thank you so much for your infinite patience! Everything is up and running now!

Old 05-14-18, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Good job. Your pictures were a big help.