Thermostat Wirirng - HP w/ Propane backup

Old 05-24-18, 06:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Wirirng - HP w/ Propane backup

Hello,

I received a free digital thermostat from my utility company and am wondering if anyone can provide guidance on wiring for it. I have an old analog weathertron baystat still. The new one is a Powerley. I've attached pics of the old and new ones. My heat pump is a Trane (can provide model if needed) and I use propane for emergency heat. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images    
Old 05-24-18, 01:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a problem. You have a dual fuel system and require a stat that specifically says for dual fuel use. The reason for this is most heat pump stats run the heat pump and when it can't keep up... AUX heat is turned on and they run together, You cannot have the heat pump and the furnace run at the same time or it will damage the heat pump.

If your new stat had an E (emergency) terminal there could have been a way around it.

Old 05-24-18, 01:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pete,

I'm looking in the thermostat manual and under compatibility, it says Heat pump systems with up to 2 stages of heating (electric or gas). Under incompatible systems, it says Hybrid systems/Dual-fuel systems. Just curious what the difference is. They sound the same to me. Thanks

Old 05-24-18, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
That's really a contradictory statement. A heat pump using a gas furnace is automatically a dual fuel system. A heat pump using two stage electric heating is completely different.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: