New Nest Setup for York Handler

Old 05-24-18, 09:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Nest Setup for York Handler

Just moved into a rural home with a fairly new York air handler. The previous owners used a Honeywell thermostat but had an issue where the blower would constabconrun, even if the stat was off. The only way to stop the blower was to turn it off at the breaker.
I disconnected the Honeywell and am installing my Nest, but I'm not familiar with the wiring. I took pictures of the Honeywell before I disconnected it and a picture of the wiring in the handler, but I'm not sure if they correspond exactly.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit: New to the forum and managed to delete my original post when trying to attach photos.

Last edited by Charlock; 05-24-18 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Image links
Old 05-24-18, 10:00 AM
C
I can't seem to post photos.

Old 05-24-18, 10:34 AM
S
You need a few more posts before you can post pictures.

Old 05-24-18, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You tried to host your pictures at a site that the DIY board doesn't allow. I was not able to retrieve them either. Post them directly to the board.... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-24-18, 01:31 PM
C
Looks like that worked! Thanks, PJmax!

Attached Images   
Old 05-24-18, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Pictures look good. Using data cable is not the best idea as it is only #24 gauge and #18 is suggested and customary.

I'll be back with a diagram for you.

Old 05-24-18, 01:44 PM
C
Yeah, the data cable is what threw me for a loop. Definitely not used to that sort of setup. I appreciate you taking the time to take a look and definitely appreciate the diagram. Should this translate OK to a 3rd gen. Nest?

Old 05-24-18, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
No wonder there were problems. The wiring was NOT correct on the old stat.

These are the colors and functions as dictated at the furnace board.
Brown = C
Green = G
Orange = O
Blue = Y
White/Green = R
White/blue = W1
White/brown = W2
White/orange - does something. Can't tell where connected. Shouldn't be needed.

Just confirming..... we know it's a heat pump system.
Only electric AUX heating.... no gas furnace involved here..... correct ?

Old 05-24-18, 03:41 PM
C
Right. No gas, all electric.

At the handler, white/orange is not connected, but was plugged into L at the Honeywell stat.

THANK YOU!

Old 05-24-18, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Turn power off to air handler before changing any wiring.

Brown = C
Green = G
Orange = O/B
Blue = Y1
White/Green = Rh (no jumper to Rc)
White/blue = W2/AUX
White/brown = * (not sure what to program this as. It's either going to be W3 or E)
For now...... program it as E. It can always be changed.

Before you ask..... on a nest..... W1 is not active in heat pump mode. The heat pump is actually the first heat stage or W1. W2 is AUX heat. Most electric reheat units don't have two stages. I need to find out what heat package you have in there. You could post the model number for the air handler. Usually the electric heat section has an additional part number.

Old 05-24-18, 04:00 PM
C
OK. I've got the wiring as suggested in your most recent reply and I have the Nest charging, as it died during the move. Here is the photo off of the handler:

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-18, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
The mfg goes to the trouble of putting the label on with all the heater choices and the "installer" cannot find the time to check the installed heat kit.

Tell me how many and what size breakers feed the just the air handler.
Not the outside condenser.

York tech specs

Old 05-24-18, 04:19 PM
C
Here are the three breakers. When I moved in, none of the three were turned on. Turning on the 30 with the Honeywell stat installed would cool the place, but the blower would never shut off, even when the house was at temp.

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-18, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Electric reheat units use what are called sequencers. They are time delayed relays that activate the heat strips and the blower. It sounds like one may be stuck in "blower on". It could also be stuck in "heat strip and blower on".

This is not a packaged unit..... all outside unit...... is it ?
That circuit breaker area looks like it's outside.

Old 05-24-18, 04:53 PM
C
No, it's indoors in a utility closet.

Old 05-24-18, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
It loos like you have the big boy heat kit in there. 25 Kw.

Go to the following ebay link. There are pictures of the heat kit there.
Download them for your references.

York-S1-2HK16502506B-25KW-Heat-Strip-Kit-w-Breaker

Old 05-24-18, 07:46 PM
C
I don't know how to thank you, Pete. That did the trick. When I flipped the breaker back on, the blower didn't immediately kick on like it had been doing. Once I got the Nest programmed, I kicked it over to cool and set the temp and the blower kicked on. We have working A/C!

I really appreciate the help and so does the rest of my family. We were worried we were going to have a $300 power bill in our first week in the new place.

As far as the other two 60 breakers on the unit.. Should they be flipped on? Having them off doesn't seem to affect the cooling.

Old 05-24-18, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
The 60A breakers are only for the heat strips. They can be left off in the summer.

Old 05-16-19, 03:43 PM
C
So, after a long and brutally cold winter that our heat pump couldn't keep up with, I turned the Nest back on today. The house was at an ambient 86 degrees F, which was unbearable. Now, there seems to be an issue with our Nest thermostat or the wiring between the thermostat and the air handler.

As mentioned above (and seen in the pictures), whoever installed the original equipment used #24 wiring, instead of #18. I have the Nest set to cool now and it will kick on and start pushing air for a couple of minutes, then it will shut off again. This has been happening repeatedly since turning it back on. It doesn't seem to be engaging the outdoor unit at all.

I haven't changed any of the wiring since Pete so kindly helped me with the setup of the Nest, but I've included a picture below. The only error Nest has identified is "e105," which references the O/B wire. If I remove the faceplate and reattach, some of the time it detects that wire and works for a bit without issue.

Right now, all I really want to do is get the cool air flowing through the house, if that is at all possible with some kind of work around. If necessary, I can call a professional, but we live in the sticks, so I have no idea how long it will take them to get out here.

As always, any assistance is very much appreciated!

Name:  n1.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  28.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-16-19 at 03:55 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 05-16-19, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
The Nest specifically states #18 wiring so do the #24 wires fit sloppy in the terminals ?
It looks like the wiring is correct.

If you want to test the system without the stat...... temporarily and carefully twist the blue, green and orange together...... now touch those three to the white/green wire. The A/C system should work.

Old 05-16-19, 04:43 PM
C
The wires themselves seem snug enough when they're locked into the terminals. Unfortunately, they're really brittle and any attempt to twist them together results in breaking off the stripped ends. I stripped them all back down clean, thinking maybe just that would make a difference, but no luck.

I turned off the handler circuit and shut off Nest again. It sounds like I need to go get some #18 wire to even do further troubleshooting. The temp is supposed to cool back down over the next couple of days, so hopefully we'll be alright until I can get into town.

Old 05-23-19, 05:13 AM
C
Yesterday I spent a couple of hours running all new 18/8 wire from the thermostat to the handler and from the outdoor unit to the handler. I am happy to report that everything is now functioning properly! Another HUGE thank you to PJmax for the assist. Hopefully that knocks one thing off the list for a while!

Old 05-23-19, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
Awesome. Good job. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: