Fan control desired at thermostat

Old 05-25-18, 03:13 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fan control desired at thermostat

I have a simple gas furnace setup at my cabin with no A/C. Currently there is a simple Honeywell round LCD thermostat with no other control other than temperature. I would like to change the thermostat to a simple thermostat that does have fan control. Currently, the only wires connected to the existing thermostat are R and W. My understanding is that G is the connection on the furnace that controls the fan. My idea here is to utilize a window air conditioner for cooling, and since the cabin is one-level and small, utilize the furnace fan to distribute the cooling of the window A/C.
Is it as simple as running a wire from the "G" control board on the furnace to the "G" terminal on the thermostat, in addition to connecting the R and W wires?
Thanks,
Dave

Old 05-25-18, 03:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Is it as simple as running a wire from the "G" control board on the furnace to the "G" terminal on the thermostat, in addition to connecting the R and W wires?
Yes. it really is that easy.

Old 05-26-18, 07:58 PM
W
Thanks Tolyn. What gauge wire shoukd I use to do that?
Thanks,
Dave

Old 05-29-18, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
18 ga is what is normally used for stat wiring.

Old 06-09-18, 09:33 AM
W
Thanks again Tolyn. I went down to my local home improvement store, and they have the spools of thermostat wire, of which one kind is the 3-Wire variety. The spools have a casing that holds the 3 wires within. I wasn't thinking straight, and had imagined running a single wire additionally. The 25' spool of the 3 conductor wire makes a lot more sense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: