Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat Works, Then Shuts Off

Old 08-18-18, 03:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell Wi-Fi Thermostat Works, Then Shuts Off

Hey,

I'm a new homeowner, and I installed a Honeywell TH9320WF5003 thermostat in my house about 3 months ago. Everything has worked fine up until a couple of days ago. Lately, the A/C has been kicking on - furnace fan blows, the outside until is running, and cool air is flowing thru the house - for around 5-20 minutes, then the whole thing shuts off. I go up to the thermostat and the screen is blank and nonresponsive. Somewhere around 20 minutes or so later, the thermostat turns back on, and after the startup process, kicks the A/C back on for another 5-20 minutes or so then repeats. I can't seem to find any info out there about thermostats doing this, mostly it's posts about them not turning on at all.

I assume this must be some sort of safety issue for the actual A/C unit? I wouldn't imagine the thermostat itself has gone bad already.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Edit: To further complicate things, if I have the thermostat on, but turn off the A/C or Cooling, then the thermostat will stay on and not shut off after 5-20 minutes of use. The rebooting issue seems to be related to the Cooling unit.

Last edited by ATX9109; 08-18-18 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-18, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Do you have a wire on the Y2 terminal?

Old 08-19-18, 08:23 AM
I do not. I have wires on C, RC, W, Y, G, then the connector loop between R and RC.

Old 08-19-18, 10:23 AM
This was solved. It turns out the drain line had a blockage that I was able to suck out with a shopvac. The Honeywell thermostat appears to do an auto-shutoff/reboot instead of just killing the power to the A/C unit.

Old 08-19-18, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
The Honeywell thermostat appears to do an auto-shutoff/reboot instead of just killing the power to the A/C unit.
Normally the float wire is installed and connected to just interrupt the 24v going to the outside condenser. Your float is wired to kill all 24v power to the system. That would include power to the stat. Either way works and is acceptable.