Lyric T5 Thermostat wiring from Carrier

Old 01-03-19, 10:04 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lyric T5 Thermostat wiring from Carrier

Hi, Everyone,

I really got confused how to install Honeywell Lyric T5 Thermostat from my old Carrier Thermostat as pictures provided since the wires labels are V+, VG, RS+ & RS- only. I tried to research all info on internet but without any match info or opinions regarding these wires. Hope any one may provide more info for my wiring installation, and thanks.

Name:  q1.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  q2.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  65.9 KB

Name:  q3.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  q4.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  q5.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  79.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-06-19 at 11:29 AM. Reason: cropped/resized pics
Old 01-04-19, 03:47 PM
J
Here's additional info for my HVAC system is single zone:

General heating system type(s): Forced air, Furnace
General heating distribution type(s): Ducts and registers
Forced air heating system fuel type: Natural gas
Forced air heating system manufacturer: Goodman
Forced air furnace model #: GMPN120-5 REV B

Manufacturer: Trane
Heat pump or air conditioner model number: TTB060D100AO

Attached Images   
Old 01-04-19, 05:54 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
To get the Lyric or any other standard thermostat to work you will need to bypass that control box. In addition it looks like there are only 4 wires going to the thermostat but you need 5 (R,W,Y,G,C) for proper control for a wireless thermostat. To solve that need for a C wire they make a wire saver module

The THP9045A1023 Wire Saver Module is used on heat /cool systems when you only have four wires at the thermostat and you need a fifth wire for a common wire. Use the K terminal in place of the Y and G terminals on conventional or heat pump systems to provide control of the fan and the compressor through a single wire—the unused wire then becomes your common wire. See THP9045 instructions for more information.

Old 01-04-19, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A couple of problems here. I'm fairly certain that big box with the antenna on it and that thermostat were provided by a utility company for energy management. In exchange for giving you a lower electric rate..... you, the homeowner, allow them to shut down, typically the A/C system, when electric demand is high. If you are still operating under that contract..... you cannot change anything.

If that equipment is no longer in use (and you need to be very sure) then you could remove it. It cannot be discarded as it belongs to the utility company. To run a wifi thermostat you would need at least ......
Rh, Rc, C, G, Y, W = six wires from the stat to that EIM module.

Old 01-06-19, 09:11 AM
J
Thanks Astuff & Pjmax replies, that's why I can't figure out this antenna device under Carrier brand as well before. I'm the new house owner of the property since March last year, which I don't see any letter or services related to other 3rd party utilities company for the electricity or gas.

So basically I need to skip this Carrier antenna device (base on the left side regular terminals setting) to install any wifi thermostat, right? Plus resolve the C 24V power situation as well. Since there's a small transformer located under this Carrier antenna device, would that be a 24V supplying to this Carrier antenna device as well? I will try to post a more clear picture to see the fine print on that transformer since previous one not. Thanks.

Old 01-06-19, 11:41 AM
Group Moderator
A member is only allotted 10 megs of picture storage. You were at capacity with your oversized pictures. I cropped and resized them to fit the board yielding you the max available storage. I didn't repost the transformer because the voltage is not on it. It looks like a Smarthome T590 or T591 transformer. You may have to measure it as it doesn't look to be directly connected to the controller.

You're going to have some issues here so don't just jump into changing the thermostat. You need to have all the facts first. The four wires at the thermostat DO NOT match any wiring at the the EIM. That splice will need to be found. It almost looks like a piece of 14-4 romex at the stat end. I have a feeling there are splices inside the wall mounted service switch box which is 100% wrong. 120v and 24v are not mixed within a box.

Pull the blower/lower service door off the furnace. Give us a nice closeup picture of where the thermostat wiring connects. You'll see a terminal board with R - C - G - W - Y - etc. on it.

Old 10-06-19, 07:16 PM
J
Hi, Astuff & Pjmax, finally I got time to figure out the transformer listed "Load 16V 10VA" on top but I also found it's not connect to Carrier's wifi control device at all and it's out through within the wall to somewhere I don't know.

BTW, I've posted additional pics of the furnace control board, which seems there's 24V running through to Carrier's wifi control device as well as bridged RC to 24VAC terminals (brown wire). It seems I may install the Lyric T5 but need to replace the existing wire only 4-colors to 5 run the C common as 24V. Please help to check these new pics by your experience confirm my figuring out and thanks.

Attached Images       
Old 10-07-19, 12:37 AM
Group Moderator
Been a while. I had to re-read everything.
This is a gas furnace with a standard split A/C........ not a heat pump...... correct ?
See if you can find a part or model number on that Carrier board for me.

GMPN manual (pdf)

Old 10-07-19, 07:05 PM
J
Yes, A/C condenser is outside of house, not heat pump. The old thermostat in 2nd floor connected to the Carrier wifi unit in basement next to the furnace.

Old 10-07-19, 07:23 PM
J
I may only found these at the bottom part of the Carrier's wifi device broad as pictured, no other model# on the outside of the wifi device.

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-19, 03:06 PM
J
Wait, PJmax your GMPN attachment is referring to the furnace board, right? I thought you were asking the Carrier's wifi device any model# on the board. Let me check the furnance board again tonight.

Old 10-11-19, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
No. I was looking for the model or part number to the board with all the wiring connections.
I couldn't see all the lettering on either side of the module.

When you disconnect that board to replace the thermostat with a conventional one.... that wireless is no longer going to be working either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: