Trane & Ecobee4

Old 01-21-19, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Trane & Ecobee4

Apologies if I should have piggybacked on an existing thread, I see several Trane/Ecobee threads already. I am still learning proper forum etiquette.

I have a Trane S9V2C100U4PSAAB that is 2 years old. I just installed an Ecobee4. The Ecobee folks checked the wiring, I think we're good ... a separate wire for W1 and W2. All good. No jumper wire between W1 and W2 on the furnace control board. The BK Jumper has NOT been cut ... which is good since the Ecobee can't control fan speed.

I think it is running right but I am trying to confirm one thing and have been unable to confirm this even after talking to my installer:

Is there anything else I need to do to have the thermostat control the staging? Are there any DIP switches that need to be set? Or another jumper to be added or cut? Or ... most likely ... some codes that need to be entered on the control board?

I can't seem to find anything about this. My gut tells me that just removing the W1-W2 jumper is enough to tell the system that the stat has control ... but I haven't been able to validate it.

The data coming off the Ecobee does not show much usage of Stage 2 but when Stage 2 is engaged ... it almost looks like the default behavior of "turn on Stage 2 after 10 minutes". Of course my Ecobee hasn't learned a lot yet ... and I have not fiddled with the "THRESHOLD" settings either at this point. I don't want to fiddle with those until I know that I am fully running on Ecobee controlling staging.

Thoughts?

Last question: Why do all the installers try to steer customers away from thermostats controlling the staging? Maybe it's a perception but they all seem leery of this.

Old 01-22-19, 07:33 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
I read your manual and I would say you have it done correctly. The delay from Stage 1 to 2 is adjustable in the menu, but it sounds like its not needed when using a two stage stat,

Try setting your heat setting to 10 degs above the temp in the house. It "should" go right to stage 2.

I am running a Nest and it learns how long it takes to raise the temp by 1 deg. It then takes this calculation and will only call for Stage 2 if the time to get to desired temp is "excessive." I'd guess as time goes on your EB will use Stage 2 less and less.

I'm also just a DIY homeowner so i could be completely wrong!

Old 01-25-19, 10:15 AM
Thank you! I will try that.

Old 02-06-19, 08:28 AM
RE: KNPV PSD: So I tried the test you suggested several times; and each time, it took exactly 10 minutes to shift to Stage 2. So I am guessing that the furnace is still operating with a delay. There is a furnace setting called Inter-Stage Delay that I need to change on the "control menu". I am guessing this will solve the problem.

Please let me know if you or anyone else has any other thoughts.

Old 02-06-19, 03:12 PM
K
I'd try setting that to off and let the Ecobee decide when to call for Stage 2.

Old 02-06-19, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Interstage delay is factory set for 10 minutes but is field adjustable with the Menu option in the ISD section.
I couldn't find the programming menu. Strange.

Old 02-06-19, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
with 2 stage equipment you want the air handler to do all IMO. I dont know why people buy these smart t stats.

What are you trying to achieve with the ecobee? Or a nest for that matter?

That whole geofencing is nonsense. Wifi may be good is you need it as a summer home and such..

This is non communicating equipment I would gather..

I have a t6 pro honeywell.Its all you need for 2 stage equipment.They have a wifi version if needed. And if you need to lower fan with dehumidify to cool then a honeywell 8000 would be the answer.

Why not use a trane t stat?Probably is a honeywell made for trane with better options..

Old 02-20-19, 10:08 PM
K
Any update? Just wondering if you got the EB to control the two stages.

Old 03-06-19, 12:24 PM
TO: KNPV PSD; Yes sorry for the delay in responding. I did change the Interstage delay to zero and it does seem to be working, i.e. the thermostat is controlling the staging.

TO: lawrosa; Exactly what do you mean by "air handler"? Apologies for being naive.

Honestly, I'm skeptical of new technology but the idea of a smart, "learning" thermostat is intriguing. Agree on geofencing.

So I am not sure if there is value in a "learning" thermostat; but it seems to me you can't even prove it out if the furnace has the stage 2 delay hardwired to 10 minutes no matter what is going on in terms of temp in the house.

So now that the stat is controlling staging, I am watching to see if it is learning anything.

Also agree with you that without controlling the fan speed, I'm not sure this is going to do much.

Old 03-06-19, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
FYI..... the air handler is where the blower is.
It can be an electric or gas furnace...... or just a cold coil for A/C operation only.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: