Advice on using smart thermostat and baseboard heaters

Old 01-24-19, 05:42 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on using smart thermostat and baseboard heaters

Hoping I can get some advice on how best to proceed. My home is about 8 years old and my main floor is an open concept that is heated by three electric baseboard heaters controlled by a single dial thermostat. In the process of replacing all the older dial thermostats in my home, I discovered that my main floor thermostat seems to be powered by low voltage wiring.

My understanding is that many smart thermostats won't work with electric baseboard heaters because they are typically power by line voltage wiring. However, as my current dial seems to be wired via low voltage, can I simply change out for a smart thermostat?

Old 01-24-19, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Thread moved to thermostat forum.

A smart thermostat needs a C connection to operate properly. That means you need three wires between the thermostat and the controller. If you only have two wires...... you can use a plug in wall wart to power the thermostat. It would need to be plugged in near the thermostat and there would be wires showing. If you have three wires present..... locate the heating controller and let us know what it is.

The nest claims to work without the C connection. That can be very spotty and I wouldn't count on it with your heat controller.

Old 01-26-19, 12:47 PM
R
Thanks for the reply! I've attached some photo's to show the wiring for the thermostat. The thermostat indicates that it is a line voltage unit and it is currently powering 3 different baseboard heaters (4.5 ft / 5 ft / 7ft) for an approximate total of 3700 watts.

I originally wanted to use MYSA thermostat but didn't think I was able with that wiring.

Name:  e1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  e2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  14.3 KB

Name:  e3.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  20.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-26-19 at 01:06 PM. Reason: added cropped/resized pics from links
Old 01-26-19, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
How-to-insert-pictures

That looks like a line voltage thermostat on low voltage thermostat cable.
That's fine but you need to locate where that two wire cable goes. There will be a controller there.

Old 01-26-19, 01:22 PM
R
Thanks. Located what I believe to be the controller.

Attached Images    

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: