Heat and thermostat problem

Old 04-07-19, 08:48 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat and thermostat problem

is it my heat pump or thermostat? I set my Honeywell thermostat to 67. The heat kicks inland turns off at 70. Gets too hot. But then the house gets too cold and I look at thermostat and it reads 67. I then change my thermostat setting to 62 to just to kick on the heater. About a minute later the thermostat temperature now reads 64 do the reading dropped about 4 degrees once I kicked the heater on. Seems like there is a delay in the actual reading or it doesn’t read until I kick the heat on or off by changing the setting. Seems like the house is either too hot or too cold.

Do I have a heat pump issue or thermostat issue.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-19, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The heat should fluctuate approx 1° over and under the set temperature.
Setting the thermostat to 62° should not make the heat run. You need to set the temperature above the room temp for the heat to come back on.

Old 04-07-19, 12:48 PM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Hi, you set the Tstat to 62* to bring the heat on? something is wrong with that setup, if the room temp is 67* and you set the Stat to 62* your cooling should be coming on.
How long is this been going on ?
Geo

Old 04-08-19, 10:05 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes- I made error - I set room temp higher

I raise the indoor temp higher just to kick it in but about a minute after I raise the room temp and the heater goes on - the stated room room temp now drops about 4 degrees or so.

For example- the room temp might say it is 67 but feels very cold and almost damp cold. So I raise the set point to about 70 or 71 just to kick on the heat. Then a minute or less - the stated room tem no longer says 67 but now says 65 or 64. It goes down a few degrees once the heat comes on. Then it blows heat until it is about 70 or 71 even if I had lowered the set beck to 67 or 65.

Old 04-08-19, 03:25 PM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
How long has this been going on?
Geo

Old 04-08-19, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
You need to check and see if the heat pump is actually running and if you have warm/hot air coming out of the ducts. It could blow cold before it gets hot and that would lower the room temperature.