Fan setting on Ecobee thermostat

Old 05-30-19, 07:12 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Fan setting on Ecobee thermostat

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have a quick question about running the HVAC fan and electricity usage.
I have Ecobee 4 thermostats in my home, and they allow me to activate the fan for circulation anywhere from 0-55 minutes per hour. This feature is active whether the system is on or off.

It works great for our second floor, as the temperature gets uneven... especially in the great room. I had set the fan to come on for 5-10 minutes per hour the last few months and I have noticed a higher electricity bill. How much electricity should I expect the blower fan to use? The home and Heil HVAC system are 14 years old.

This may have been caused by other things as well - dehumidifier in the basement, and the sump pump has been running a lot with all the rain we have received.

Old 05-30-19, 11:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Your blower uses 500-700 watts per hour.
Based on average electric rates.... that would be approx $.08 per hour to run the blower.

10 minutes per hour = 240 minutes per day divided by 60 minutes = 4 hours per day.
4 hours per day X .08/hour = $0.32 per day.
$0.32/day X 30 days = $9.60 per month.

Just rough figuring.

The dehumidifier is basically a small window A/C and is a fairly large power user.

Old 05-31-19, 10:10 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks!

Won't worry about the blower fan anymore. But I will turn adjust the dehumidifier to run less frequently. I also had the electric company install a new meter. We'll see how the electric bill looks next month.

Old 06-24-19, 05:02 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any concerns about the load on the fan for spinning up for 5 minutes every hour? 24 starts / day feels like a lot, but maybe it's OK?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: