Wiring help - Carrier 58 GP to ecobee 4

Old 09-10-19, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring help - Carrier 58 GP to ecobee 4

I have a Carrier 58GP gas furnace with a Honeywell whole house humidifier mounted to the side of it.
I am looking to replace my existing thermostat and humidifier controls with a Ecobee 4 unit.
I also have a separate air conditioner unit, in case this information is important to know.

It looks like my connection between furnace and thermostat has 6 wires.
4 go to the thermostat, 2 go to the humifier control. This information is a bit of an assumption, as the wires come thru the wall thru two separate holes, one below the other. I am making this assumption, as I see 6 wires come out of the brown cabling that comes out near the furnace end of things.

Thermostat layout
Red wire-> RH
Yellow wire-> Y
White wire -> W
Green wire-> G

Humidifier control layout
Orange wire
Blue wire

At the furnace, I see
Yellow wire -> Y
Green wire -> GC
GH terminal is empty, with jumper from GH to R
Red wire -> R
White wire -> W

Additionally, the blue and orange wires are connected via caps (blue wire caps, in the foreground of the picture) to a wire running to the humidifier mounted on the side of the furnace.

I am trying to see if I can perform the swap out of the units myself.

Could you help me with some info:
a) given the wiring I have in place (6 wires going between furnace and thermostat), if I can replace the separate humidifier and thermostat controls by the single Ecobee 4 unit?
b) what the wiring needs to look like?

Thank you for your help

Name:  e1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  e2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  16.8 KB

Name:  e3.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  e4.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  47.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-10-19 at 02:43 PM. Reason: resized/labeled picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-19, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since the humidistat is not connected to the furnace at all...... I'm assuming that the white and black wires that connect to EAC 1 and 2 run the receptacle that the humidifier is plugged into. This needs to be confirmed.

I see the orange and blue connected to the H'stat.
I see the orange and blue spliced to white and red and then go to the humidifier.
I need the model of the humidifier.

Old 09-10-19, 02:45 PM
Will get you that information this evening. Thank you for your help.

Old 09-10-19, 06:39 PM
The humidifier is a Honeywell HE360A.

The wires connected to EAC-1 and EAC-2 go to the junction box located outside of the furnace, into which the humidifier is plugged in (in the picture above).
EAC-1 connects to a red wire going into the box. EAC-2 goes to the white wire in the box.

Attached Images  
Old 09-11-19, 06:35 PM
Poking around the web.. do i disconnect the orange and blue wires near the humidifier controller and connect them to the ecobee ACC+ and -? And at the furnace, do i use the PEK and configure it like I don't have a C wire?

Old 09-11-19, 10:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
You will need to make that receptacle live all the time so that the Ecobee takes control of the humidifier.
Yes..... you will connect the orange and blue to ACC+ and ACC-..... no particular polarity.

Unfortunately you have one of the few humidifiers that has an internal transformer and requires the two switching wires to be closed to operate. All the other ones require 24vac to operate. We could have converted one of the humidifier wires to a C wire.

You will also need the PKE to get the C to your stat.

Old 09-12-19, 09:31 AM
One last double check on the wiring: at the furnace end of things, once I put the PEK in place, I will have 2 wires connected to C (New blue from PEK + existing Red wire) and 2 wires on Y (existing white + new Yellow from PEK). The rest (GC,R,W) have PEK wires replace what's there, with the old wires now connected to PEK. Nothing else changes (EAC1, EAC2, etc)