Connecting Ecobee C wire to HVAC system

Old 09-15-19, 02:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting Ecobee C wire to HVAC system

Hello all,

I was hoping someone can help me out here. I was trying to install my new ecobee 3 lite when I couldn't get it to power on. I noticed a blue cable behind my old T-Stat that wasn't connected anywhere. So I spliced it and connected it to the "C" on the ecobee but it still did not power on. I thought maybe the installer left this cable staged behind the old T-Stat since the old T-Stat doesn't take a C wire. I believe I also see the "C" - blue wire - that I found behind the T-stat running to the HVAC board but its not connected to anything. I then began to look in the HVAC control board and noticed that the Red wire is connected to the "C" on the HVAC board while the "R" is connected to some black wire.

Any ideas as to what I should do here? Can I pair the loose "C - blue" cable to the HVAC board along with the Red one?

First time ever dealing with AC's . so any input would be highly appreciated. The picture with the ecobee tstat bracket does not show the "blue C wire" connected. But I did find it and connected it to the C terminal moments later. I also noticed a jump between RC and RH. Is this something I will need to address with the ecobee as well?

Thank you in advance.

Rob

P.s. I live in south florida

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  12.7 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  12.2 KB

Name:  t3.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  32.5 KB

Name:  t4.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  62.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-15-19 at 04:33 PM. Reason: resized/labeled picture
Old 09-15-19, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

No R jumper required. Your current wiring on the Ecobee appears correct.
The blue wire will go on C.

I labeled your picture. I assume this is a gas furnace w/split A/C or an electric furnace with split A/C.
It does not look to be a heat pump.

Look at the labeled picture. The yellow from the stat connects to the yellow of the condenser. The red wire from the condenser goes to the C terminal and that is where you will connect the thermostat cable blue wire.

I'm not sure what's going on with your R wire. It looks to have a piece of black wire attached. This may be a float switch or the red wire was too short to reach the R terminal.

Old 09-16-19, 08:51 AM
T
Thank you, Pete! The Black wire connected to the R terminal is what threw me off based on all the research I did on google.

So I can connect the blue to the C even though the R is already using it?

Thanks again.

Old 09-16-19, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Yes.... you will have two wires on the C terminal.

Old 09-16-19, 05:20 PM
T
I paired the red wire along with the blue 'c' wire on the c terminal on the hvac board and got it to work.

thanks a bunch!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: