New Garage Heater and Honeywell Aquastat

Old 10-03-19, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Garage Heater and Honeywell Aquastat

I have a brand new Beacon Morris garage heater that came with a Honeywell Aquastat controller. The copper temperature sensor sits in a foam lined recess on the back of the Aquastat. When attached to the copper inlet pipe, this did not work for me as the foam lining just allowed the sensor to be pushed back and did not make sufficient contact to get correct readings. I solved the issued by removing the copper sensor, attaching directly to the pipe underneath the Aquastat and then covering with foam pipe insulation. The Aquastat works in that it will operate the fan on the heater until it shuts off, then I have to use the reset button to get it to start again (it will not come on when the pipe reaches the temperature setting of the Aquastat. Boiler is set to 180 degrees and the Aquastat is set to 140 at present (I have tried a variance of temp ranges (to include 180) to get it to work to no avail). Is the Aquastat bad? I have a switch in-line so that I can shut power off to the Aquastat and fan to be able to work on the unit.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-19, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 380 Votes on 357 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

An aquastat used for a hydronic heating coil should be a very basic two wire device. It's only job is turn the fan on when the pipe is hot and off when the pipe is cold. There would be no need for any reset button.

Old 10-07-19, 01:56 AM
Aquastat

Hello Pete, Well, that device came with the heater and you are correct that it is a two wire device (incoming white neutral is connected directly with the white neutral from the fan, the incoming black is connected to the Aquastat switch on one terminal and the black to the fan on the other). I have the controls temperature set currently to 180 degrees (to match the circuits (boiler) temp. It will shutoff automatically when the temperature drops below but then will not start automatically (I have to use the rest button). I am thinking the unit (switch portion) is bad.

Attached Images  
Old 10-07-19, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
I'd like the part number for that aquastat.
There should be no need for any type of reset. Reset from what.

That may be a combo aquastat and safety switch which is not wanted there.

Old 10-14-19, 12:39 PM
Hello Pete, the number on the housing is L4006H, Switch Open on Temp Increase, Manual Reset

Old 10-14-19, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
L4006H includes a trip-free manual reset switch. These models are designed to break the control circuit whenever the temperature of the controlled medium reaches the high limit setting. A reset button on the front of the case must be pressed to re-establish the control circuit. L4006H also includes bracket and clamp for surface mounting on pipe or tank.

That is the wrong switch for that application. The switch you need does not want to have a manual reset in it. You'd want something like in the link below.

Honeywell L6006A

Old 10-21-19, 01:49 AM
Many Thanks!

Hello Pete, Many thanks for your suggestion. I am prepping an order now to replace with your recommendation. Should turn out fine and I will let you know as soon as it is installed! Thanks again, Brian