Replacing Trane tstat

Old 10-09-19, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Trane tstat

Hey all,

Replacing an old Trane tstat with “hopefully” a new Emerson Sensi-touch WiFi tstat.

I will get a picture on tomorrow, but my BAY28X138 has the following wires hooked up currently.

O = Orange
R = Red
T = Brown
G = Green
Y = Yellow
X2 = White (with a jumper going from X2 to W, no other wires to W)
B = Blue
U = soldered wire jumping to W baseplate.
F = Empty

“Hopefully new tstat” has:

G
O|B
W2
L
W|E
Y
Y2|*
C
RC
RH

I will add pics tomorrow, but hopefully this can be done. I’d like to get this Mercury tstat out of here.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-19, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A picture of the old thermostat base wired would be good..... How-to-insert-pictures.

Shouldn't be a problem with the new stat.
I'm not sure if Sensi has different models now so post a model number if applicable.
Not sure what Y2/* means.

Old 10-10-19, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the reply PJmax.

Attached you will find my current tstat, and also the configuration of the new tstat I am looking at.

Hopefully this helps.

Name:  t1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  t2.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  22.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-10-19 at 10:52 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 10-10-19, 07:25 PM
Just as an FYI, I'm also looking at some other options too. Just want something that will actually work in the current tstats place. If there are any good recommendations I am all ears

Old 10-10-19, 10:57 PM
Group Moderator
This is pretty much the wiring for most stats.
Sensi is ok. The Ecobees are good too.

O = Orange --------------> O/B
R = Red -------------------> R (leave Rc/Rh jumper intact)
T = Brown ----------------> Tape off.... not needed.
G = Green ----------------> G
Y = Yellow ----------------> Y
W/X2 = White -----------> W/E
B = Blue -------------------> C

Old 10-11-19, 07:45 AM
Awesome, thank you very much. I’ll get one picked out and let you know how it goes

Old 10-11-19, 11:01 AM
Received 36 Votes on 33 Posts
Do you plan on setting your temperature setpoint back when your not home in heating mode?
As in an unoccupied setpoint for when your not home.

Old 10-12-19, 03:41 PM
So I got the ecobee3 lite. Everything seemed to be "close" to your instructions. A couple things were different on this one, so please let me know if I did something wrong.

Rc and Rh ecobee states to not jumper, as ecobee takes care of this automatically.

Orange went to O/B
Red went to Rc as instructed by ecobee
Taped off T (brown) and tucked into wall
Green went to G
Y went to Y1, as there are 2 Y's. It looks like the second one was for if you had 2 Y's beforehand
X2 went to W1 (there was no W/E).
B went to C (which worked, as it has power).

The jumper going from X2 to W on my old system I left off, as I didn't know what to do with it.

Now the system is running, and the heat doesn't seem to be working as well as it was. It is warm, but not hot. Was the jumper causing the heat and aux to work all the time, instead of just the heat? I'm wondering if that's why it was so much warmer beforehand.

Other than that, I went through the setup just fine. Going to test the A/C soon, to ensure that is working as well, just so I know before the warm weather hits again.

Appreciate any input. Thanks again

Old 10-12-19, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Actually on a heat pump system.... ecobee shows the red on Rh. Don't know if it makes a difference.
The white on W1/aux 1 is correct.

Did you program for heat pump - air to air ?
There are settings for the aux heat when in heat pump settings.....

Aux Heat Simultaneous Operation: If you select Enable and there is a source of auxiliary heat, it will turn on in addition to the heat pump. The heat pump will be engaged for the first 30 minutes. If, after 30 minutes, the set point has not been met, the auxiliary heat will also be engaged to assist the heat pump in reaching the set point.
If you select Disable, the heat pump will be engaged for up to 2 hours. If after 2 hours the set point has not been met, the thermostat will shutdown the heat pump and engage the auxiliary heat to reach the set point. This option should also be used for installation where the heat pump evaporator coil is downstream from the source of auxiliary heat.
This setting is only available when the Comp to Aux Temp Delta and Comp to Aux Runtime settings are both set to Auto (default).

Old 10-12-19, 05:14 PM
Hey Pete,

Thanks for the reply. The booklet I got with this states "Note: Do not connect any jumper wires between Rc and Rh. ecobee does this automatically. The R wire needs to go into the Rc terminal on your ecobee." That is for the section for Heat pump (air or geothermal) with auxiliary heat. I am not saying you are wrong by any means, just stating what the instruction manual is telling me.

As for the programming, yes, I have it set for heat pump air to air. I set it to run the heat pump and aux simultaneously as needed.

Old 10-12-19, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
I guess because it's either.... they produce pictures with no dedicated location used.
These companies can't get their act together sometimes. From the pro manual......

Name:  e3.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  51.3 KB

Old 10-12-19, 05:24 PM
And the air gets warm, however, with the old tsat, when I would turn the heat on it would get HOT. and I mean HOT. It felt like the temp would go from 60-80 within a matter of 20-30 minutes. Now it seems like it runs for like 30 minutes to raise 5 degrees. So not sure if that is because the aux strips were running all the time with the old tstat? Just takes a lot longer to get up to temp now. My heat pump is a trane weathertron XE 1100.

Old 10-12-19, 05:28 PM
Oh wow, that's crazy. Here is from the manual I got. It does indeed sound like they need to figure out a standard.

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-19, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
With a heat pump system you want the electric coils to be used as little as possible. It sounds like your system is working as it should. You'd want the heat pump to do as much of the work as possible before calling on the reheats. This is one reason why temperature setbacks are not usually desirable on heat pump systems.

The only way you could confirm the electric heating portion is to measure the white wire to C or ground at the air handler. You should see 24vAC when the coils are active.

Old 10-12-19, 11:05 PM
I’m guessing that’s also why our electric bill would have climbed so fast last winter. We’ve been in this house for a year, and our average bill during the winter was about $300/month. I guess this will be a good test.

You have eased my mind and I thank you for all your help Pete. You have been a wealth of knowledge and I couldn’t have done it without your help.