Add Thermostat to Gas Logs

Old 10-25-19, 09:43 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add Thermostat to Gas Logs

Hi, I have a natural gas log fireplace connected to an off-on switch powered by 4 AA batteries. I'd like to install a thermostat. to make life easier and am seeking answers to whether I have to keep the battery on-off switch of maybe use a transformer to provide millivolts for ignition. I hate to cut another hole in the wall beside the current on-off switch and wire a thermostat to the switch. Do I have to do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-19, 10:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 627 Votes on 579 Posts
Is your switch powered by the batteries or your gas logs? What gas log set do you have?

Old 10-25-19, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
The on/off switch with 4 AA batteries sounds like the remote receiver box. It would have an OFF-ON-REMOTE position. There is a wireless remote control..... some with a thermostat function.... that works with that receiver.

You already have a millivolt system. The receiver box and the wall switch just supply a short to the gas valve. You could replace the wall switch with a thermostat.

Old 10-25-19, 01:21 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
IMO not the best idea. Id be scared someone would think that the gas logs where to heat the house and run them for long run times and not for supplement.

Old 10-25-19, 02:34 PM
M
The gas log set is powered by two AA batteries, and the log set is Monessen. I've had it for 6-8 years and just got tired of having to get up and walk over to the on-off switch to turn if on or off. I have an old thermostat somewhere around the house and I'm going to try and find it and hook it uf. Thank you for your answers!

Old 10-25-19, 02:57 PM
M
My neighbors have a gas log set with an associated thermostat and do well according to them. We don't use the logs unless we're up during the day and at night turn it off.

Old 10-25-19, 05:59 PM
R
Received 103 Votes on 97 Posts
Is this a ventless fireplace?

Old 10-26-19, 09:00 AM
M
Yes, it is a ventless. I have installed a carbon monoxide detector nearby so not to worry. I installed a cheap non-battery thermostat this morning and it doesn't cause the logs to ignite even though the pilot is lit. I touch the wires together and it does light. since I took out the old batter powered switch, I wonder if I should have bought a thermostat with a battery?

Old 10-26-19, 09:32 AM
R
Received 103 Votes on 97 Posts
If it’s a UL listed CO detector I wouldn’t trust it. They are designed to go off at a sustained 70 PPM of CO. If the level hangs at 69 PPM it will not activate.
By comparison many fire companies will not enter a building without breathing apparatus if CO is over 35 PPM.
You’ll want a non-UL listed low level CO detector.
Also, make sure to crack a window when operating your ventless fireplace.
They’ve been outlawed in many areas due to CO problems.
I wouldn’t use it to primarily heat a space.

Last edited by roughneck77; 10-26-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 11:06 AM
M
Roughneck, I appreciate the heads up on the detector, I'll check it out and heed your warning!

Old 10-26-19, 12:08 PM
M
I replaced the wall remote with a Honeywell thermostat today and when I touch the wires together bingo! Fire/ignition. But when I hook up the thermostat and move the arm nada. Do I need a thermostat with batter to kick start this thing?
I feel stoopid, there was cardboard white protector with the thermostat that needed to be taken off after uinstallation. Got 'er fixed, thanks guys.

Last edited by mydog; 10-26-19 at 12:37 PM.