One Thermostat?

Old 11-13-19, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One Thermostat?

- I have a boiler in the basement running 5 zones of baseboards (2 upstairs, 3 downstairs)
- I have 2 separate ACs in the attic (one serving upstairs, one serving downstairs)

So all in all I have 6 thermostats around my house (one of the downstairs thermostats serves both that zone of heat and the whole floor's AC).

I have read that a single Ecobee can theoretically run the entire house, which I'd prefer over buying, installing and controlling 6 Ecobees.

My question is... how? I've read that I may need one or more zone boards to make this happen, but even then how they work or how I hook these up to the Ecobee isn't clear to me.

Is there a general guide on this? Any posts with an overview? Am I mistaken that this is even possible?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-19, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
One thermostat cannot run an entire home. A thermostat can only sense the temperature in the room in which it's mounted. Some have the ability to connect a remote sensor.

Yes..... you could use one thermostat to operate all your zones...... at the same time...... if that's what you wanted. Wouldn't be terribly effective as all rooms heat differently.

Old 11-14-19, 10:41 AM
I plan to use ecobee's remote sensors in all my rooms to match temp to zone.

Old 11-14-19, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Those remote sensors report back to a thermostat that controls a single zone. They make it sound like a miracle but a remote sensor or sensors get connected to a thermostat and then get averaged into temperature settings. Every room does not become perfect as claimed.

Old 11-14-19, 01:22 PM
I don't think you quite understand what I'm trying to do. I've read that a single ecobee can control multiple, independent zones using a zone board (giving separate options for each zone). I'm asking how to achieve that given my setup.

Old 11-15-19, 01:02 AM
Group Moderator
That would completely new to me.
Post the article or a link to it.

Houston204 voted this post useful.