Thermostat that can be programmed for a non-7-day schedule?

Old 12-01-19, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat that can be programmed for a non-7-day schedule?

I'm buying my first house, and thus, for the first time, I will be able to install whatever fixtures and devices I want. One of the things I'm thinking about getting is a wifi/smart thermostat.

I'm currently working an odd schedule: I work 7 days straight, then have 7 days straight off. So I'm not working a typical Mon-Fri workweek, nor does my schedule repeat every 7 days.

As I check out thermostat reviews, I'm noticing that while many of them enable you to create a pretty elaborate schedule, they all seem to be based around a 7-day week. But I want to have 7 days of my heat being on only in the morning when I'm getting ready for work and in the evening when I'm home, then turned way down overnight while I'm under the covers and during the day when I'm gone, followed by 7 days of my heat being on all day and off only overnight.

Are there any thermostats out there that can be programmed with such an elaborate custom schedule? Or, if not, the next best thing: are there any that allow you to create and save multiple schedules, and swap between "active" schedules with the touch of a few buttons?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-19, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There are many new thermostats on the market but none that are two week programmable that I know of. You could use a 7 day programmable and the [HOLD] function for the weeks you're home.

Old 12-02-19, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Your best bet is to get a geofencing t stat. It knows when you are home with occupancy sensor. Also you set a parameter that when you are on your way home say 5 miles out the t stat will adjust the temp accordingly heat/cool so when you get home its a your preferred temp.

It knows where you are and when you leave and when your on your way home.

I would recommend the honeywell T9 series.

https://t9.honeywellhome.com/#

Old 12-02-19, 11:36 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
Before you get too excited about a programmable thermostat, you should become familiar with your heating system: What type it is--gas, oil, electric, heat pump; hot water, hot air, steam; cast iron radiators, baseboards, radiant and how well it performs. How old is it? Are there hot or cold spots? Does it provide domestic hot water heating? Is it sized correctly for your house or is it oversized (especially if new insulation, thermal windows, etc. have been added.)

Once you have that information you can determine if a programmable thermostat is necessary and what the best type and program might be.

I am all in favor of having programmable thermostats if they can save money and still provide comfort and convenience. I had one on my previous oil-fired boiler with single zone cast iron radiators for 35 years and set back the temperature 15 degrees when not at home and at night.

Six years ago I replaced the boiler with a gas-fired one. Also additions to the house were made that added zones with baseboard heaters and radiant floors. All the old single pane windows were replaced with thermal. Although smaller than the boiler it replaced, the new one is still 40% larger than required by the heat loss calculation for my house and I took advantage of that by using it to heat domestic hot water after my old free-standing gas water heated died.

Since newer boilers hold less water and heat it faster than older ones large setbacks in temperature can be a problem. It takes too long for the temperature to recover from a large setback. The boiler runs longer and savings are not realized. The setback period must be shorter to allow comfort temperature to be reached sooner.

With the new boiler and zone management I now only set back the main house temperature from 70 during the day to 65 at night. The sleeping area is at 63 during the day, warmed up to 68 morning and evening and 65 overnight. I am at home all day so I do not have unoccupied or separate weekend setbacks.

Because I have a large cast iron load and outdoor temperature control, I can heat the house satisfactorily with boiler water that is 150 degrees instead of the usual 180 which saves in the cost of fuel.

Figuring out what you need and how to accomplish it will help determine what type of thermostat or control you should get.

Old 12-02-19, 12:00 PM
Received 39 Votes on 36 Posts
What type of heating system will this device control?

Old 12-02-19, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the geofencing feature customizable? I work less than a mile from my new house, so a 5 mile radius is no good.

The house is new construction, and according to the listing info, the HVAC is dual-zone, with separate upstairs and downstairs thermostats, a gas furnace on the first floor, and a heat pump upstairs. I don't know more than that. With it being new construction, it's possible they installed wifi/smart thermostats, but I haven't had occasion to go back and check.

Old 12-02-19, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
They probably will only install a honeywell t6 pro I would bet.

Yes its customizable.

The t9 is ok for geofencing. They make a pro version a t 10 also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka48bUkRUzE

Old 12-02-19, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
They have a T6 that does wifi and geofencing too.

The good thing with the T series is if they install a cheaper version all t6 t9t10 just plug in to the same base. no rewire required.