Geothermal amateur looking for help with Nest install

Old 01-02-20, 09:30 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Geothermal amateur looking for help with Nest install

Hello all, looking for a little assistance with Nest install on a geothermal open loop system. I've attached some pictures of my current t-stat which is original circa 1998. Below is also a link to the nest install instructions. None of the wire configurations colors in the manual appear to match up directly with my exact wire colors. I can you tell you my system does not have any in floor strips or anything crazy, it's just a self contained unit. There is an external flow switch that controls the open loop water circulation which comes from well water and dumps to a pond. I'm not sure if I have emergency heat option or not, although the switch seems to light that up. If unit is on auto and heat and idle...when I start barely pushing the thermostat up to a warmer temp it kicks on...then if I increase the temp further the AUX heat light comes on...so my assumption is that is tries to heat with just the geothermal first and then if the gap is too high it will use aux heat. There is certainly no dual fuel, aside from that I don't know much more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

http://support-assets.nest.com/image...ller-Guide.pdf

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  s4.jpg
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  s5.jpg
Size:  47.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-04-20 at 11:13 AM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 01-02-20, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
I don't like Nest for heat pumps. I don't like Nest at all but your system looks like a single stage compressor with electric auxiliary heat from the looks of that old stat.

Turn off power before replacement of the stat to avoid popping a fuse, or damage to the transformer.

Color - Nest
Green - G
Orange - O
Red - Rc
Yellow - Y
White - W2
Blue - C

Old 01-03-20, 08:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Houston204,
Thank you for the quick response. Would the nest be able to know when to kick in the AUX heat while still maintaining efficiency(IE this old stat appears to try and heat with geo first and then if cranked up high it lights up the AUX)? If not, is there another stat that is friendly to use that you would recommend instead of the nest for amateur use? Iím open to other ideas certainly.

Thanks

Old 01-03-20, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
The Nest is kinda weird about controlling the Aux heat strips. I don't like Nest for heat pumps.

You might consider an Ecobee thermostat for your application. It is a Very impressive thermostat. It gives you a ton of control over your equipment. You can adjust how much demand is required before the heat strips kick in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: