Benefits of smart thermostat

Old 02-02-20, 05:02 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Benefits of smart thermostat

I havenít kept up to date on what the new generation of thermostats can do.

i have a heat pump with electric aux. my thermostat allows for morn, daytime, eve, night setups.

Iíve also read that a HP should not be set back at night. Our home is occupied 24 hrs day.

so with all that.......what benefit would a smart thermostat provide other then remote control?

thermostats have had settings for morning, eve etc for many years............what exactly do the new models provide......even for homes with other heating sources?

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

02-03-20, 04:58 AM
Norm201
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
Hi-tech?

Depends what it is. I love hi-tech, but it has it's bad side. Look what the cell phone has wrought. I like a cell phones that can take pics and uses WiFi, but I don't need anything else, especially texting!

The dawn of cheap cams has turned our society into a fishbowl. Very little privacy in spite of all the things put into place to preserve privacy. That's the price of hi-tech.

Automatic garage doors, I love them. WiFi door locks?, loathe them. 3D printing, real neat and fun, but lots of waste.

Drones are real cool, but they have been practically banned due to privacy issues and safety issues. Besides I'm not very good at control .

The hi-tech of instant telecommunications (Twitter and Facebook, etc...) has caused all sense of verbal decency to be thrown out the window. We say what ever we want and call people what we want that we would not normally say in front their face. It has caused a national division in our society.

Self driving cars, not ready for prime time! Bells and whistles in our cars are terrific, but cost to repair is beyond the ability to DIY. Remote car starting is becoming illegal in many areas due to theft and environmental concerns.

Internet marketing, has hurt the small brick and mortar, mom and pop store. And that means jobs. Industrial hi-tech has caused our airlines to pack planes with people like sardines in a can. Produce products that far outstrip our ability to environmentally use them.

Hi-tech has produced and discovered fantastic cures for disease in health care, but the cost is prohibitive for the common person.

Hi-tech in our entertainment has produced some fantastic movies, but the acting is mediocre and the language is vulgar (OK, I'm old fashion). But compare the movies of the 40's through the 60's (such movies as Casablanca, or Alfred Hitchcock productions) with today's movies. Those old movies got the message across with out vulgarity or extreme violence. Real entertainment. When I go to a movie I want to be taken away from reality and entertained. Not have reality thrown in my face.

OK I hit upon a lot of subject matter and could go on and on. But I think I got my message across. Hi-tech is good, but too much of a good thing is bad. Careful what we wish for, we might get it!

Old 02-02-20, 05:08 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
This is one item that simply dumbfounds me!.

You have simple programmable thermostats, why does anybody need the ability to have more control to the temp settings?

Plus you read all the post for connectivity issues and I just shake my head, guess it's the new toy syndrome!

Correct, heat pumps, similar to my GEO system do hot have the temp rise capacity as a gas system so setting temps back really put a strain on them to recover. They require more consistent temps!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-02-20, 05:16 AM
To further what Marq says, setting furnace temp up and down during the 24 hr period really is just a time and energy waster. If you're going to vacate the home for more than 24 hours then perhaps a reduction in heat is OK. I've heard more problems with WiFi thermostats and programmable units lately than ever before. Before, with the good old Honeywell thermostat everything was pretty much set for the season and that was that. I have multi programmable unit and from day one have never used the programmable stuff. Just set it for heat in winter, and A/C in summer. Never had a problem and most likely never will.

Old 02-02-20, 05:31 AM
Received 73 Votes on 69 Posts
Hi, I use mine to monitor temp while away for extended periods to be sure system is operating, donít really change settings that often.
Geo

Old 02-02-20, 05:34 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 105 Posts
I thing the new 'smart' thermostats fit into 2 categories:

1) Nest (and others) that self-program. You turn it up when you're in the house, down when you leave for work, etc. After a few days, it 'learns' your programming and controls the heat for you. I guess it's good for people who don't want to spend the 8 minutes it takes to program a thermostat.

2) Traditional thermostats with wifi/internet control. You still program and use them like any other thermostat, but you can also control it from an app (or even from your Alexa).

I personally like #2, because I'm tech-toy obsessed, and also because I can go away for the week/weekend, turn down the thermostat to 60, and while I'm on my way back, turn the heat (or AC) back on before I get home. Convenient.

Old 02-02-20, 01:40 PM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
I'm tech-toy obsessed
And that is fine, I personally find Tech, the so called life improver, to cause way too much hassle that I simply do not need!

I understand it's a generational thing, but my level of tech is a car with remote start and seat heater, and a flip phone that does not have to be recharged every 3 days!

Old 02-03-20, 04:58 AM
Hi-tech?

Depends what it is. I love hi-tech, but it has it's bad side. Look what the cell phone has wrought. I like a cell phones that can take pics and uses WiFi, but I don't need anything else, especially texting!

The dawn of cheap cams has turned our society into a fishbowl. Very little privacy in spite of all the things put into place to preserve privacy. That's the price of hi-tech.

Automatic garage doors, I love them. WiFi door locks?, loathe them. 3D printing, real neat and fun, but lots of waste.

Drones are real cool, but they have been practically banned due to privacy issues and safety issues. Besides I'm not very good at control .

The hi-tech of instant telecommunications (Twitter and Facebook, etc...) has caused all sense of verbal decency to be thrown out the window. We say what ever we want and call people what we want that we would not normally say in front their face. It has caused a national division in our society.

Self driving cars, not ready for prime time! Bells and whistles in our cars are terrific, but cost to repair is beyond the ability to DIY. Remote car starting is becoming illegal in many areas due to theft and environmental concerns.

Internet marketing, has hurt the small brick and mortar, mom and pop store. And that means jobs. Industrial hi-tech has caused our airlines to pack planes with people like sardines in a can. Produce products that far outstrip our ability to environmentally use them.

Hi-tech has produced and discovered fantastic cures for disease in health care, but the cost is prohibitive for the common person.

Hi-tech in our entertainment has produced some fantastic movies, but the acting is mediocre and the language is vulgar (OK, I'm old fashion). But compare the movies of the 40's through the 60's (such movies as Casablanca, or Alfred Hitchcock productions) with today's movies. Those old movies got the message across with out vulgarity or extreme violence. Real entertainment. When I go to a movie I want to be taken away from reality and entertained. Not have reality thrown in my face.

OK I hit upon a lot of subject matter and could go on and on. But I think I got my message across. Hi-tech is good, but too much of a good thing is bad. Careful what we wish for, we might get it!

clancy, tuffy65 voted this post useful.
Old 02-03-20, 01:06 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
My schedule isn't regular enough for a programmable thermostat. Having it online allows me to turn the heat up before I get back so I don't walk into a cold house and have to sit on a cold couch or in a cold bed.

FWIW, turning the heat down does save money for the time the house sits at the lower temperature. The savings achieved while the house cooled are pretty much used up rewarming the house but if you're gone long enough for it to sit an hour or two or more at the lower temperature, then go for it.

Old 02-15-20, 05:49 PM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
One of the main benefits for me is when you get big temperature shifts overnight and want to change it on the fly without getting out of bed. I usually keep the house on the cool side (70-72). If the temperature drops I can put on the heat. My old dumb thermostat had to be switched between heat and ac.

Old 02-16-20, 03:44 AM
What problems with WiFi thermostats you heard about?
I use the same one and there is no problem...
Nothing once they are installed and working. But just look at this forum and the problems people have getting them installed and working. My son-in-law bought one, had all kinds of hassle to get it working. My son also, bought a new house and the WiFi did not work properly.
Then when you have WiFi outages or problems then what? To me it's just a toy. It has it's place but I doubt that most people need it.