wiring a 2 pole thermostat -- what happens with the neutral wire?

Old 02-20-20, 05:21 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring a 2 pole thermostat -- what happens with the neutral wire?

Greetings,

I have a 12/3 (I think) wire running from a 2 pole 20 amp breaker in the basement to a bedroom where I want to install an electric baseboard heating unit. I have a 2 pole thermostat with two red wires and two black wires. The instructions seem straightforward enough: I can connect my black and red hot wires to the thermostat, and run a ground wire to the heating unit. Okay. But what happens to the neutral white wire? What am I to do with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-20, 07:48 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If your baseboard heater is purely 240VAC, a neutral isn't required. You can cap it off (leave a wire nut on it) in your thermostat box.

Old 02-20-20, 08:18 AM
V
Really? Interesting. I thought the neutral is required to complete the circuit.

Old 02-20-20, 12:37 PM
V
Further to this topic is a statement from another forum, where the moderator says:

"A standard 240v heater with no electronics doesn't require a neutral the load is pure 240v. All you need are the red, blacks (hots) and the equipment ground. If you had 120v controls you would need the neutral but your thermostat doesn't require the neutral so I would cap it at both ends and label it in the panel in case you want to add a fancy controller in the future."

Does this mean I have to disconnect the neutral wire from the buss bar? Or is it safe as is, considering its capped at one end and my neutral buss bar also services the grounding wires?

Old 02-20-20, 01:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
If the wire is 12/3 with ground and the ground is connected to the ground buss, I suggest disconnecting the neutral (white) & installing a wire nut on each end.
If there is no ground & the white is used as ground, I would mark each end with green tape.

Old 02-20-20, 01:55 PM
V
Okay, I will do that then. Thanks!