What Temp Settings Are Best?

Old 04-06-20, 03:11 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Temp Settings Are Best?

We are both long retired, and we just got a programmable thermostat. After reading the manual, we can't figure out which temps we should set.

The thermostat has HEAT and COOL settings, and also HOME, AWAY, and SLEEP settings.

We are home during the day, so for us HOME and AWAY would be the same.

We live in NC, and there are often cool summer mornings (50s), so we do often need HEAT during the summer (and cool during the winter).

We'd like the day temp to be 72, and the night to be 66 all year round, but we can't figure out which Summer and Winter temp settings we should use for HOME/AWAY and SLEEP.

We currently have the day COOL set to 73, and the day HEAT set to 65, but that doesn't seem to get us anywhere near our desired 72.

What HEAT and COOL temp should we use for Summer DAY/AWAY and SLEEP, and what HEAT and COOL temps should we set for Winter DAY/AWAY and HEAT?

Thanks much for any help for these confused seniors!

Alan

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-20, 03:54 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
I suspect your issue is more with your setting "heat" and "cool" rather than the temperature. Either your temperature is too cold or too warm but it shouldn't be both within the same day. So, if your home is too warm during the day, cool it down but then set it to turn off, not go to warm.

I live in Ct. so it's not comparable but I'll describe what I do here. During the cool/cold months I set the heat to 65 during the day and 60 (we like to sleep with blankets) at night. When the temp gets to 65 during the day heat turns off and the same for 60 at night. A/C never goes off. In the summer, I set 65 and 60 as well but only A/C goes off, not heat.

DIYAlan voted this post useful.

Last edited by Tony P.; 04-06-20 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 04:38 AM
D
Thank you, Tony, I'm sure you are correct.

If we want 73 during the day, and 66 at night, what HEAT and COOL temps would be best?

Thanks again,

Alan

Old 04-06-20, 04:53 AM
T
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
I updated my original post so have a look.

The idea of climate control is to make your indoor temp what you want versus outside. It is not to fluctuate the indoor temperature between cool and heat. So, don't focus on heat and cool; it's either one or the other.

Assuming your outdoor temp is 80, set cool to 73 during the day and 66 at night - but only cool, not heat. If the outdoor temp is 66 during the day and 60 at night, set heat to 73 during the day and 66 at night - but only heat, not cool.

Basically, you want only cool when the outside temp is hot and only heat when the outside temp is cold.

Old 04-06-20, 05:16 AM
D
Hi Tony,

Thank you again. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

What I'm apparently too dense to understand: If the summer morning outdoor temp is 55, don't I need both a HEAT setting (to warm the house to around 66), and also a COOL setting for later in the day (when the outdoor is in the 80s)?

Perhaps CT doesn't fluctuate as regularly as here in NC? Here we almost always have summer mornings in the 50s, and afternoons in the 70s/80s/90s.

I hope I did not misunderstand what you are saying - I thought you are saying we don't need the COOL in the winter or the HEAT in the summer ("but only cool, not heat")...

I've got a post-graduate degree, and I feel like a dummy in this case.

Alan

Old 04-06-20, 06:03 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What kind of thermostat do you have?

I think you need a thermostat that has an AUTO heat/cool mode - it switches automatically between heating and cooling based on the temp.

I have a Nest thermostat for my second floor that I use the AUTO mode in shoulder seasons (spring/fall). It has a heat setting that is slightly lower than the normal winter heating level (say 68 vs. 72) and a cool setting that is slightly higher than normal summer settings (76 vs. 72). It keeps the inside temp from getting too far out of control, but allows for open window temperature regulation.

Old 04-06-20, 09:31 AM
D
Hi Caddymac,

Thanks for responding!

The thermostat is an Automatic (Honeywell).

My problem us that I think I've used the wrong HEAT and COOL settings.

I have HEAT set at 66, and COOL at 73, but the room seems to remain at (or close to) 66.

I've checked several times, and the HEAT and COOL are indeed both set that way...

Thanks,

Alan

Old 04-06-20, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 756 Votes on 710 Posts
Your house has thermal mass. It takes a certain amount of time for it to heat up and cool off based on insulation and outside temperature. You need to use that when setting your thermostat. You do not want to cool and heat the house or heat and then cool it. That is extremely wasteful. I don't recommend using an automatic heat/cool setting.

In the winter you will use heating only. A programmable thermostat has four groups or time settings. You don°'t have to use all four. You could set the morning or wakeup temp to 72° at 6AM and a sleep temp of 67° at 8PM.

I have mine set to wakeup to 70° at 6AM. Evening to 68° at 8PM. Night to 66° at 10PM.

Old 04-06-20, 02:46 PM
D
Thanks, Pete, that makes sense, and I know it would reduce our high bills.

When it's in the 50s here on some mornings I assume I'd then need to turn on the heat that day?

Thank you again,

Alan

Old 04-06-20, 03:18 PM
Group Moderator
My heat is set as I explained. With it staying 50° outside.... my heat may run around 4AM for several minutes to bring the house back up to 66°. It may then run for 10-15 minutes at 6AM to bring the house up to 70°. After that I would not expect it to run all day.

Old 04-07-20, 02:59 AM
D
Okay, Pete, thank you, I think I have it!

I've set the temps at COOL 73, and HEAT 66, and the temps last night stayed in that range (around 69).

I'm guessing that if I ever want to make it cooler for a day I would then lower the COOL. (If I wanted to make it warmer, I'd temporarily raise the HEAT.).. I'm on the right track, right?

Thanks again,

Alan

Old 04-07-20, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Don't run the thermostat in the automatic heat/cool mode. Select heat or cool mode only.
Post the model number from your thermostat for me.

Old 04-07-20, 07:09 PM
R
Received 92 Votes on 86 Posts
What kind of equipment do you have? A heat pump?

Old 04-08-20, 04:33 AM
D
Hi Pete (and Roughneck),

It's a Honeywell TC-PHP01-A, TC-PAC01-A.

We have a heat pump and also a gas furnace, plus 2 outdoor central AC units.

I've now turned off HEAT and also AUTO.

I assume I'd need to turn on HEAT for that day if it was cold in the AM (as it often is here in NC)...

Thank you again,

Alan

Last edited by DIYAlan; 04-08-20 at 04:34 AM. Reason: answer another Reply
Old 04-08-20, 11:48 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I use the auto heat and cool settings for my nest in nefl. I set my heat to 67 and ac to 70 from 9PM-6am then raise the cool temp to 72 during the day if I am home or 76 on days I work. My family complains 72 is too cold but I got too hot above 72. I play with the settings then if I get too hot or cold. I don't set it at just heat or cool since sometimes the temperature can vary a lot just overnight. If I wake up cold I'll up the heat a bit.

Old 04-08-20, 12:07 PM
D
Thank you!

That is very helpful.

My settings were almost the same as yours (before I turned off AUTO and HEAT last night).

I need to do some more experimenting.

Thanks again,

Alan