ecobee with 2-zones

Old 05-27-20, 03:35 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ecobee with 2-zones

Hi, I installed an ecobee over the winter (with this message board's help!), but now that I want to use my AC I have a new question/problem:

The Ecobee is for controlling zone #2. However, my 2-zone control board in the basement only has one place to connect a green wire, and the green wire from zone #1 is plugged into this spot. This leaves the green wire from Zone #2 hanging, not connected to anything. The Ecobee won't let me run my AC without the green wire connected. See photos attached.

Can I just take the green wire from the ecobee (zone #2) and connect it to the G on the board that already has the green from Zone #1 attached? This would result in 2 green wires connected into the same G on the board.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-20, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 824 Votes on 774 Posts
No..... that's not going to work.

It would actually work as long as stat 1 wasn't in A/C mode. Apparently it checks for a connected load. When both stats are calling..... there won't be a connected load.

I've never used that stat in a zoning situation. It may be just a matter of changing the blower programming. What exact model are you using ?

In the link.... it tells you how to eliminate a wire from the auto detect.
See if you can delete the green wire.
Ecobee support

Old 05-27-20, 07:14 PM
J
I have model EWC-ST-2E (EWC Ultra Zone Control System).

Note: In order for zone #2 to work, the thermostat for zone #1 must be on. When I wanted to heat only zone #2 this winter, I would turn on zone #1 but set the temp to a very cold setting so it wouldn't trigger the furnace. Then zone #2 was able to trigger the furnace when it's temp went too low.

Old 05-27-20, 07:18 PM
J
If I am able to eliminate the green wire in zone #2, will that cause any problems? I read that ecobee wants the green wire hooked up so the fan would come on and prevent furnace damage from over heating.

Old 05-27-20, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Stat 1 sets the cooling/heating mode.

You could try putting that green wire in G and see what happens. You won't hurt anything.
Make sure you try it with stat 1 calling for cooling too to make sure it still works.

If that doesn't work.... you may have to put a resistor between the green wire and C to fool the thermostat into thinking it's connected to the blower relay.

On edit:
I don't think putting the green on stat 1 G will work. When that gets energized it's going to open zone 1's damper and that's not what you want to happen.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-27-20 at 08:05 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-27-20, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
If your furnace uses forced air, you may configure fan operation:
1.Select Fan menu.
2.Select Fan operation:
Thermostat: Your ecobee thermostat controls the fan during heat and cool cycles.
HVAC: Your equipment controls the fan during heat and cool cycles (typical configuration).
3.Touch Next. You will be returned to the Equipment configuration menu.

Try setting the fan operation in the Ecobee to HVAC. It may not need the G wire then.

Old 05-27-20, 08:37 PM
A
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
Longer term consider replacing that zone controller. It requires the zone 1 thermostat to have both O and B wires. There are workarounds but generally the restriction means you have a very limited selection of thermostats.

Old 05-27-20, 08:56 PM
J
Thanks for the reply.

In the link.... it tells you how to eliminate a wire from the auto detect.
See if you can delete the green wire.
I think I can get my Ecobee to delete the green wire. But I'm a novice so just want to make sure I understand what's happening correctly: If the green wire controls the fan, and I don't have the green wire connected on stat2, how does the fan know to turn on when my AC is on for zone#2? I will be keeping zone #2 much cooler than zone #1 this summer

Old 05-27-20, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Since there is no G terminal on stat 2..... the blower must come on when either heating or cooling is called for from the stat. You can test that theory. Pull off thermostat 2. Using a piece of wire..... temporarily jump from Y to R. It may take a few minutes.

Old 05-27-20, 09:55 PM
J
If your furnace uses forced air, you may configure fan operation:
1.Select Fan menu.
2.Select Fan operation:
Thermostat: Your ecobee thermostat controls the fan during heat and cool cycles.
HVAC: Your equipment controls the fan during heat and cool cycles (typical configuration).
3.Touch Next. You will be returned to the Equipment configuration menu.

Try setting the fan operation in the Ecobee to HVAC. It may not need the G wire then.
This worked perfectly. Thanks! Didn't even need to touch the wires.