Compressor Won't Turn Off

Old 05-29-20, 04:44 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor Won't Turn Off

I recently replaced my apartment's thermostat. The old one was a SECO TA2000, the new one is a Honeywell TH6500WF wifi thermostat. I'm not 100% sure what my air handler is, the only number I can find is b-11606-03 and it looks like the air handler in this manual.

https://hvacdirect.com/hvac/pdf/AWUF-Technical-tm.pdf

I'm pretty sure it's a heat pump system with aux electric heat. I'm pretty sure I have all the wiring correct. Everything functions correctly on the new T-Stat, the only problem is when the room temp hits the set point, the blower motor turns off, but I can still hear the AC compressor in my air handler going and it never turns off.

Attached Images  
Old 05-29-20, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The compressor is outside in the condenser.
If the compressor is still running.... what is the fan doing on that unit ?
It is not the thermostat or stat wiring if it runs with the thermostat off the base.

If the compressor AND the fan are running.... you probably have a defective contactor outside in the condenser. It is possible.... although rare..... that you may have a defrost board problem. Also in the condenser.

jasper bigler voted this post useful.
Old 05-29-20, 05:08 PM
J
Okay, I'm not sure what it is that I'm hearing then because the noise is coming from the air handler inside my apartment. It's a soft hissing noise, similar to the sound the ac makes right before it turns on, but it just keeps going.

I'm not sure if the unit will operate when the tstat is off the base, I only included that picture so you could see how I have it wired.

Old 05-29-20, 05:25 PM
J
Newest update. It stopped doing it and it's now functioning how it's supposed to. I didn't change anything. My newest idea is that the noise I was hearing is the fan relay trying to start? I think it's the G terminal that controls that, maybe it doesn't have a strong connection and that's causing problems with it starting and stopping when it's supposed to.

Old 05-29-20, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Can you see the outside condenser to confirm that it is shutting off ?
If you stand real close to the air handler you can usually hear the refrigerant passing thru a regulating valve. The blower relay should only click when it's activated or deactivated.

Old 05-29-20, 05:39 PM
J
I've looked around my apartment and haven't seen any HVAC equipment, it might be on the roof? Maybe the noise I'm hearing is the refrigerant going through the regulator valve. It sounds a bit like water going through pipes sounds like, but it has a very rhythmic, sssst...ssst....sssst, over and over.

Old 05-29-20, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... that sure does sound like the condenser (compressor) is running when it shouldn't be. That needs to be addressed ASAP. That will not only waste power..... it will cause the evaporator in your air handler to turn into a block of ice.

Old 05-29-20, 05:52 PM
J
Is there any possibility that can be caused by my tstat? I've had the problem for a while, I had the maintenance guy come out and look at it. He replaced something, I'm pretty sure it was a relay, but the issue was fixed when I was using the old Seco tstat. As soon as I put the new Honeywell on it started doing it again. One of the reasons I wanted to upgrade the tstat is because I thought the old one wasn't very accurate, made the room colder than it was supposed to and didn't turn on until it got hotter than it was supposed to. I was hoping the newer tstat would keep the room a more consistent temperature and hopefully save me money on my electric bill.

So it started doing it again, the temp in the room hit the setpoint, the blower turned off, I can feel coolant still running through one of the tubes on the outside of my air handler, and then it started making the rhythmic sssst ssst ssst, I pulled the tstat off the mounting plate and the sssst sssst ssst stopped, but I still heard what I'm assuming is the refrigerant running, I flipped the breaker and that stopped the noise.

Agggh, this is driving me crazy!

Last edited by jasper bigler; 05-29-20 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
The only thing you could possible try is to take the brown wire out of AUX/E and tape it off
You shouldn't need it anyway. Just the white wire there will activate the electric heat.

When the stat is off the base...... there is no power being sent out. Nothing should be running. I'm 99.9% that removing the brown wire will make no difference and your problem is in the outside unit.

You should continue turning the rooftop unit off when not cooling until it gets looked at.

Old 05-29-20, 06:45 PM
J
Thanks for all your help, I'll give that a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: