Thermostat Wiring

Old 06-20-20, 09:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thermostat Wiring

We are renovating our kitchen and we had planned to take out a couple of walls in order to open up the kitchen/dining room/living area. In one of those walls is a thermostat wire that runs from the basement, where the heat pump is located, to the upstairs bedroom. There’s not really any extra slack in the wire so I’m. Wondering what the best way is to go about moving the wire and re-running it back upstairs. Do I new to re-run the whole wire? How do I remove all the wires from the thermostat? I’ve never really dealt with thermostat wiring before. Thanks!

Old 06-20-20, 09:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
First you need to pull the thermostat off the base to see how many wires are being used.
If that wall is being removed you're going to need to move that wire to a different wall.
Are there other electrical wires that need to be moved ?

Old 06-20-20, 09:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, there are other wires that I have moved that were in that wall. The problem as I see it is that this thermostat wire runs straight up a stud to the upstairs. I probably have to move it 2-3 feet to get it out of the wall. And since there doesn’t seem to be any slack in the wire, do I just need to re-run a whole new wire? Or can you do a junction box and wire all those small wires together lie you would a 12 or 14 gauge wire?

Old 06-20-20, 10:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Since it's low voltage it doesn't need to be in a junction box but it's best to have the splices accessible. You could splice in an electrical box and then put a blank on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: