Proposed: Replace Carrier Edge With Ecobee-5

Old 07-11-20, 04:28 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proposed: Replace Carrier Edge With Ecobee-5

I was overjoyed when i saw the same current thermostat that someone wanting to add an Ecobee-3. But those posts were a few years old and now we have the ecobee-5 on the market. More joy...as you know the Edge is a 2-wire communicating thermoStat And previously I only saw 4 wires going into it...tonight I actually pulled the wire out and it is indeed a 5-wire (with the blue wire!!!!).

Background: Recently had solar panels installed and we need a new thermostat.

Our HVAC is a Carrier heat pump setup (58CTA110-12), with gas furnace, aprilaire700.

There is an Equipment control module (ecm) mounted next to the furnace, i guess to integrate the humidifier, and outdoor temp sensor. does anyone know what the small device is below the ECM’s function is? I hope all the pictures will post here.

Question..Will I now be able to do this myself now that i found the cable has a C wire?

it looks like there is a red and white wire going to the aprilaire700 that i will need to deal with.

so essentially, i will be disconnecting from the ECM and routing everything to amd from the furnace’s board...

since the Ecobee-5 will be connected to wifi, i wont need the temp sensor to the outside.

I am getting ahead of myself....

Last edited by PJmax; 07-11-20 at 04:48 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-20, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
Don't jump for joy yet.

You say you have a heat pump system. I see a gas furnace. That means you have a dual fuel setup.
There are too many functions to carry to the thermostat for fives wires.

You'll need..... R, C, Y, O/B, W, G, W2 (furnace), ACC+ for humidifier.
That's eight wires needed and you have currently have five.

Old 07-11-20, 05:05 PM
S
Craptacular. The HVAC COMPANY i called yesterday said the ecobee5 doesn't work well with my system . They suggested the honeywell t10. I called ecobee in toronto and they didn't seem too discouraged that their product would not work with our system.

ok, so....could i run More conductors to the stat or choose another stat?

The dual fuel complicates matters yes?

Old 07-13-20, 05:32 AM
S
Has anyone changed the thermistat on a carrier edge with an ecobee with voice control?

What should I do at this point?

thanks in advance...

Old 07-13-20, 05:36 AM
S
Should I try to stay with Carrier and use their smart thermostat instead of the Ecobee line?

Old 07-25-20, 05:22 PM
S
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/t...cobee-3-a.html

i found this archived thread with a similar situation.

my system is a heat pump
with gas furnace,
and a humidifier.

PJMAX said I will need 8 conductors and only have 5.
this should be easy enough to Run another set of thermostat conductors— this must be a common situation and I suppose people simply RE-label the wires since some colors will be duplicated, unless they sell off colored wire conductors for this purpose.

I see that I will loose the outside temperature sensor....what happens when this happens? Is this function controlled in some other way with the ecobee-5?

Lets say the new thermostat is Wired to the furnace board from that point it needs an HVAC professional to dial in all the other settings—-this isn’t going to be plug and play is it?

I appreciate any responses thank you.

Old 07-25-20, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 932 Votes on 869 Posts
I would not recommending running additional conductors. I would suggest running an actual 8 conductor cable as it reduces duplicate color problems.

No..... this is not plug and play. The thermostat will require a bit of programming.
You'll need to run the new cable. It will connect directly to the furnace bypassing the EIM module.
Then you'll need to add in the humidifier wiring. It's doable..... others have done it.
The E5 can control the setpoint where the heat pump shuts down.

One thing I was looking for was if Ecobee is now incorporating emergency heat. With your system.... it will run on the heat pump, then bring on the electric reheats. Then if that can't keep up it will shut the heatpump system down and switch to the gas furnace. A problem is that if the heatpump system malfunctions... you can select the gas furnace manually.

saulausus voted this post useful.
Old 08-08-20, 10:30 PM
S
I bought the 8-conductor thermostat wire and ran it through the wall and it is bundled at thermostat and next to furnace.

the next step for me is clearing up some other questions. Our one HVAC company that does our yearly maint. Said the E5 has problems with our carrier edge heat pump and they recommended a honeywell stat.... I wonder why? But We are sold on the E5......over the nest.

ECOCOBEE said to run the new stat cable, which I have....

I want to have everything in place so all the real HVAC FOLKS have to do is connect the wires and setup the system....so they spend these least amount of time here to keep cost down.

Any thing else i shoukd know of consider?

Old 08-09-20, 08:12 AM
S
When i went into the walk, behind this stat, i see that contractor, had spliced sections of wire in the wall in order ti have a RED wire and a WHITE wire...no idea why they did this.....