Nest e thermostat questions

Old 10-31-20, 12:04 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nest e thermostat questions

This is my 3rd season with a Nest e. It controls a boiler (pump) for in-floor heat. NO FAN. Simple set up, heat on and heat off. I have three wires on pump side and Nest side. W Heat, R Power, C common. They are connected correctly. The battery voltage is 3.894. Normally the system will run 90 minutes (or whatever is required to satisfy) and off and then does the same hours later. In the past few weeks the nest has had erratic behavior. Lately the system runs 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 minutes, then off for 30-60 minutes then on again for a short time as above then off and in a few hours the normal running time. After 2 years it has started these short cycles. What would cause this after running well for two seasons without a blip? Nothing has changed except the nest is going on 3 years old. Is the nest starting to go haywire? Ive reset it a couple of times. HELP!

Old 10-31-20, 12:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That problem is usually what happens when there is no C connection.
Since you have a C connection.... it would indicate a problem with the Nest.
Yours is not an uncommon problem with the nest series.

Old 10-31-20, 03:18 PM
B
Should I just wait until the Nest e craps out? Has anyone else had these same problems?

What I like about the set-up I have now is the nest puck sensor in the upstairs, meaning I can check the heat in both the basement where the in-floor heat is and also the upstairs with the puck when I am away.

I see the Honeywell T9 also has a remote unit. Does anyone have experience with the T9 or is another thermostat recommended.

Old 10-31-20, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
I'm partial to Honeywell thermostats.
The Ecobee seems to be a reliable wifi stat also.

Old 11-01-20, 05:40 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, if you jump out the R &W at the the Tstat, will the boiler continue to run ?
Geo🇺🇸

Old 11-01-20, 10:20 AM
P
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Even though its cycling more often, is it still satisfying heat calls adequately? I wouldn't be surprised if its some stupid eco feature in the nest that is changing its run patterns.

Also, are you confident your common wire is connected on the boiler end? Maybe its not and your stat has been running the garbage power sharing mode.

T9 is well regarded. I installed four Ecobees at my house (2 hydroair zones and 2 hotwater baseboard zones). Its been two years and I have had zero issues. I also use several remote sensors, which are key since my zones all overlap weirdly. I doubt its unique to Ecobee but the occupancy feature of the sensor is great too.

Old 11-01-20, 12:23 PM
B
How do I jumper that out and what would that tell me?

Old 11-02-20, 06:45 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, remove the Nest from the sub base, then take a short piece of wire and connect R&W together, the boiler should fire and continue to run until you remove the jumper, if it does that proves the Stat is toast.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 11-02-20, 09:59 AM
B
Thank You, I jumpered the R & W together and yes the boiler pump did fire and the pump did run.

Question: Not being an electrician or Stat guru, why would the stat still function enough to run the system (although erratically) and not be totally inoperable?

Looks like I'll be checking out a new thermostat. I looked at the Honeywell T9 but the thing about the nest is that it told me that it was short cycling via the report available the next day. I wouldn't have known this without it. I don't know if the T9 has a report available.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: