Which Thermostat?

Old 11-02-20, 10:13 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Which Thermostat?

Need advice. I have a Nest e controlling a boiler for basement in-floor heat. Nothing fancy, just on and off. The temperature is pretty much set the same year-round. I do have a remote temperature puck on the first floor. I find both the nest thermostat and the remote puck helpful when I am away.

The Nest e is starting to malfunction and I need to replace it. I have liked the Nest e other than having Google in my house. One thing I like about it is the report the next day of how it ran the prior day. I've looked at the ecobee and the Honeywell T9. I believe the ecobee gives a report but am unsure that the T9 does. I want a simple WiFi thermostat with a remote temperature puck. I don't know if ecobee is reliable or which corporation runs it. Certainly not Google.

Does anyone know about ecobee or Honeywell T9 run reports?

Old 11-02-20, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,323 Votes on 1,223 Posts
Ecobee is a Canadian home automation company that makes smart thermostats, temperature and occupancy sensors. They are a reliable product.

I don't know about the reports issue. I'd imagine they all do the same thing. Honeywell mentions energy reports in the app info.

T9 info
Ecobee app

Old 11-02-20, 11:01 AM
P
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Shortly after buying my house in 2018, I swapped out all the dumb thermostats for Ecobees. It was going to be a weekend home and I wanted to have the ability to monitor and remote control the system (heat or cool house before arrival, adjust the stats if I forgot to before leaving, etc). The exact issues you described with the nest in your other posts were the reason I shied away from them.

I have two hydroair/ac zones and two hotwater baseboard zones. Its an old house with several extensions so the system is a bit of frankenstein set up. All four ecobees have worked without issue for about 2 years now and I use them with three remote sensors. In the summer, one hydroair unit does ac for 90% of the house. I use two sensors to give feedback to that zone's ecobee, which is located upstairs in an area that cools down much quicker than the downstairs. Without these sensors, my downstairs would never get cooled. During the winter, I reconnect those sensors to the baseboard zone's ecobees downstairs to give me better temp coverage across the rooms that are supplied.

Also, for my three ecobee lites, the remote sensors act as occupancy sensors. I find this useful because it will automatically swing the temp by 3 degrees if no one is in that zone, a nice cost saving feature. Additionally, I can have the sensors functional during only certain times or be excluded from temperature calculations if no occupancy is detected.

Remote control has always worked well. It has saved me plenty of times after I left the house for the week only to remember the stat was set to 70F. Last winter there were sometimes server outages, but they were infrequent and didn't last very long.

Reports/Data logging: The run time logger was critical for me identifying issues with my system. It has helped identify leaky zones that run too frequently and also observe zones that received insufficient heat form the boiler (stuck zone valve). I also use it to monitor how system run time is affected following hardware changes and temperature adjustments in my system. I find this very useful. I also find the overlays of internal temp/run times with external temp pretty useful when trying to explain my outrageous gas bills. They also provide efficiency reports but I dont get much out of them.

EDIT: I saw in your other posts about a short cycling report from Nest. As far as i know, ecobee won't give you warnings like that. You will, however, be able to see the pattern of the zone turning on and off. Assuming that your boiler follows that pattern (it might not), then you can infer its short cycling.

I know many are big fans of the honeywell. The one nearly unanimous thing I have seen from HVAC pros is they all hate the nest. More headaches then they are worth.

I guess my short answer is: get an ecobee lite and the remote sensors. Check with your utility company. I've seen a lot in the north east US offer good rebates for smart stats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: