Cheap, no frills thermostat with auto mode?

Old 05-01-21, 10:28 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cheap, no frills thermostat with auto mode?

I’m replacing the thermostat for my grandparents. They don’t want or need a “smart thermostat”, WiFi, or an app. All they need is a digital thermostat (backlit so they can read it) that will automatically kick on the AC when it gets too hot and automatically kick on the heat when its too cold. (They live in the desert where it can go from 40-something degrees to 90-something degrees in a 24-hour period.) S far, the cheapest one I’ve found is a Honeywell for $36. I was hoping to get one for $25 or so (they’re on a fixed income and I’m out of work) but it seems like the cheap ones only have, Heat, Cool, and Off — no Auto. Does anyone know of a sub-$30 thermostat that meets my criteria?

Old 05-01-21, 02:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 829 Posts
That's even cheaper than I was thinking so I'd jump on $35 if you found a thermostat that can actually do what you want. At that price I assume they will have to manually switch the thermostat from heat to cool as the seasons change. Going up to a higher level thermostat will allow you to program it and then the thermostat will automatically do heat or AC as needed with no need to flip the switch on the thermostat.

Old 05-01-21, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,514 Votes on 1,400 Posts
You also need to know what type of system you have.
Based on your area you may have a heat pump system and not all low cost stats can run a heat pump. If you do have a heat pump system then you need to check into back up electric heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: