Nest or Ecobee

Old 06-18-21, 10:58 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Nest or Ecobee

I am hoping to get some feedback and opinions from people on Smart Thermostats, specifically the Nest Learning & Ecobee 3 Lite. I currently have numerous Amazon smart speakers (so I eliminated the Ecobee Smart option) and would using these in conjunction with one of the thermostats. After doing considerable research on both I am still unsure of the best choice. I've read how amazing the Nest product is and all the features and functionality. However, I have also seen many negative comments related to problems people experienced with this unit, it's learning capabilities and its difficulty keeping at a temperature set by the homeowner in addition to its high price.

I know there are features you give up with the Ecobee but it comes at a lower price point and none seem to be a deal breaker for what I need. I've also read about how their room sensors are better (detect room occupancy as well as temp in comparison to Nest). I have a very basic AC/heating setup and the "nice look" of the Nest isn't a major factor for me, it's a thermostat not a work of art .

Any help, comments or suggestions people can offer would be most appreciated.

Old 06-18-21, 02:06 PM
R
Received 178 Upvotes on 164 Posts
Ecobee.
Nest is nothing but a problem causing headache. I’ve had them do and cause just about anything you can think of, including catching fire on the wall. There product support is terrible as well.
I wouldn’t have one if you gave it to me.
Since they were released I’ve charged tens of thousands of dollars in total to remove them from customers equipment because of constant issues.
Not having a common wire amplifies the problems.

ttonnis voted this post useful.
Old 06-18-21, 04:27 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply Roughneck. Your comments are what I have been reading and seeing frequently about Nest. Which is why I actually posted the message, my thought going in was Nest is a Google product everyone talks about it must be good. It even had good ratings from some reputable sources, But to my surprise it seems quite the opposite when talking to homeowners who have/had the product. I've seen numerous people including my HVAC contractor say avoid Nest there are too many problems. This is very helpful and now has me moving the Ecobee 3 lite to the top of the list.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: