Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Thermostatic Controls
Reload this Page >

Smart thermostat with humidity control via humidistat-driven overcool

Old 07-16-22, 08:22 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to replace my combo [dumb] thermostat and in-line Honeywell humdistat (both circa 2006 vintage) -- this is one of those setups where you can set the thermostat to super-cool but have the actual A/C activation controlled by the humidity level (e.g., for humidity control in an often-vacant vacation home).

I'd like to get a single thermostat/humdistat combo that allows remote monitoring/configuration and other "smart" capabilities.

I've seen various smart thermostats that claim to control humidity (via cooling), but it's not clear if any of them allow a configuration where the humidistat has ultimate authority over whether or not the A/C runs (or, I guess as an alternative, the thermostat has an over-cool tolerance of, like, 20 degrees).

I'm fine doing minor DIY HVAC things, but I'd have no problem calling in a professional (e.g., if my dream thermostat/humdistat is only available via a shop).

Oh, and I'd prefer to deal with a name brand ready-to-go solution (over, say, an arduino-based homebrew maker-kit or a fly-by-night outfit on Amazon).

Does such a box exist?

Last edited by pod calve; 07-16-22 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-17-22, 04:40 AM
Received 154 Votes on 140 Posts
Hi, I have a Honeywell RTH 9580 , it monitors humidity, will send an alarm if humidity goes above my set point, at which time I turn on the AC to drop the humidity, I am in NH and monitor condo in FL. works well for me, original setup had an inline humidistat which did not make sense and was removed, most in the area have been.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 07-17-22, 05:23 AM
P
@geo thanks -- I'm in a similar situation but I'm looking for an automated solution (I've heard everyone hates the inline humidistat but I can't figure out why -- I have remote monitoring for temperature/humidity and it seems to do quite well).

Old 07-17-22, 05:47 AM
Well I guess if it ainít broken keep working on it until it is, if the temp in the space rises and the humidity is low the humidistat locks out the cooling , high humidity is more of a problem as far as I am concerned.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 07-17-22, 09:09 AM
P
@geo the current setup works, but it isn't "smart" (i.e., I can't program it or control it remotely-- e.g., temporarily set a lower temperature set-point when maintenance/cleaning folks visit).

Old 07-17-22, 09:38 AM
Hi, do a search on this stat, this particular model is discontinued but there are others, you must have internet service all of the time at the Tstat location, make changes and get alerts from your mobile device , turn the cooling on when maintenance/ cleaners are there.

Old 07-17-22, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,953 Votes on 2,664 Posts
I'm thinking the 9000 series is what you are looking for..... Honeywell 9000 series

My forum partner.... Houston.... is very knowledgeable on thermostats.
I asked him to check in here when he comes back.

Old 07-18-22, 06:03 AM
P
@pgjmax, thanks -- but it looks like the 9000 can only do an overcool of 3 degrees max. I'm going to need about 20 degrees of overcool (because the temperature ranges from 70s to 90s+ over the course of the year).

Old 07-20-22, 11:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 34 Posts
It can overcool more if you place a jumper between the dehumidifying terminal and Y.

R to U1 and the second U1 to Y with some dry contact models.

PJmax voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: