Thermostat options for a Mitsibishi Hyperheat mini-split

Old 09-27-22, 11:45 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat options for a Mitsibishi Hyperheat mini-split

We're getting 2 Mitsubishi heat pumps installed soon (air handlers are MSZFS18NA-UI, outdoor units MUZFS18NAH-UI) and was going over my options for thermostats/wifi enabled remote controls.

Mitsubishi has something called Kumo Cloud, it requires a $175 accessory ($370 on Amazon!) and an app download. Problem is the app gets some of the worst reviews I have ever seen. Functionality is limited and the app is almost impossible to set up using Android. May have issues connecting to a router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Another option I have seen is the Airzone Aidoo. $186 for the interface, the app has no reviews on the Play store so not sure.

Then there is the Sensibo Air. Looks nifty, but the useful features are locked out and they require a subscription to get advanced stuff. Nope. Horrible thing is they don't tell you anywhere on their website how much the subscription plan is.

My favorite wifi enabled thermostat is the Emerson Sensi Touch. They claim it is able to control a heat pump, my email inquiry to them about the Mitsubishi mini-split specifically was responded to with a "Thank you for contacting us. Sensi is compatible with a heat pump." so no specifics.

Anyone have some insights on all this? Would be much appreciated.

Old 09-27-22, 03:19 PM
Received 282 Likes on 241 Posts
Check out the Cielo Eco-Breez. It replaces the remote. I think there is an option to power it on 24v so it can act as a thermostat on existing wiring. Otherwise it is powered by a USB wall wart.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-27-22, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
A thermostat is a thermostat. They all do the same thing.
It's how they communicate that is the problem.

Most of the customers I've worked with didn't want/need a wifi thermostat on their systems.
To use a standard wifi thermostat with a split system it needs an interface adapter.
As far as I know.... Mitsubishi requires a PAC-US444CN-1.
Mitsubishi thermostat interface

What did your installer recommend ??

Old 09-28-22, 12:30 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not discussed it with the installer. The quote has a rather ominous "Equipment and material supplied by Owner subject to 30% surcharge" so I figured I'll let him install whatever and then do what I want.

Old 09-28-22, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
I would not feel good working with an installer like that.
I would NEVER surcharge a customer to install their additional equipment unless
it was labor intensive but that would still be discussed ahead of time.

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: