Honeywell T9 connected to American Standard Gas Pack unit

Old 06-19-24, 01:58 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honeywell T9 connected to American Standard Gas Pack unit

I'm replacing an old battery operated Thermostat with Honeywell T9 unit that requires a C wire. I have extra wires available that I can use so I'm trying to use the standard blue wire a C. I'm connecting the Thermostat to a American Standard/Trane gas pack system (4YCY4030C1070AA). First I tried to connect the C wire (small blue wire) to the large Yellow wire which is connected to Yellow thermostat wire but the T9 did not power on but the blower kicked on. I then tried to connect the C wire to the large Blue wire which is common wire and connected to the G wire and fan. The T9 started up but it only recognized that I had Heat and fan and no AC connection.
Obviously, I'm missing something. Any help appreciated.

Old 06-19-24, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The wiring is a bit confusing.
At the thermostat I see........
Rc = red
Rh = pink
W = white
Y = yellow
G = green
R and Rc should be connected together. Typically with a jumper on the thermostat.
You should use blue as C and connect to the blue wire in the unit. (blue and white splice)

The over flow switch is in series with the Y line. That would open Y if tripped.
Can't tell what that other cable(???) is. I see white on the blue/C wire.
Can't tell where the red goes. Maybe to thermostat ? That would not be correct.

Old 06-19-24, 05:19 PM
G
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. The Rc and Rh at the thermostat are connected together via a jumper. The other (???) cable has red connecting to the Green and G wire with white connected to the Blue common wire from the unit and looks like it goes to the fan. I tried connecting the C wire to that cable's blue common wire, but the thermostat only recognized that I had Heat and didn't recognize that I had AC.

Old 06-20-24, 07:55 AM
F
Trane is the manufacturer, so maybe this will help? Looks like common in the unit is B ? But it will be C on the new thermostat.
Service facts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: