dripping toilet tank

Old 03-04-04, 05:43 PM
geejay
Visiting Guest
dripping toilet tank

I have a leak from the bottom of the toilet tank, where the pipe that leads to the shut off valve exits.

I've never done any plumbing, but have done other work on the house, and if I could get some instructions, I think I could follow.

If all else fails, I will turn off the shut off valve until I can get someone to repair the tank for me. Is there anything I should or shouldn't do when turning off the shutoff. Does it turn counterclockwise to close? What if it's very hard to turn? Is it OK to use force?

I hope someone will help. Thanks

Old 03-04-04, 09:30 PM
L
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replace the supply line, from the shut off valve to the bottom of the fill valve. Use a braided S.S. supply line. The fill valve has 7/8" threads -- ALL supply lines for a toilet have that. The shut off valve could have any of a half dozen threads -- make sure you get the right one. (Easiest way to be sure is to replace the shut off vavle too,) Normal hand pressure should be enough to turn off the shut off valve. If it takes more than that, replace it!

Old 03-11-04, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you try tightening the plastic "nut" at the base of the tank? There are 2 threaded "nuts"... one at the base of the tank holding the refill valve (which is the one you want), and one that goes over/below that one securing the supply line..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: