Leaking faucet for hot water in shower

Old 03-31-04, 06:54 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking faucet for hot water in shower

I have the shut off for the hot water in my shower leaking as if it is turned on. There is a constant stream coming out, and my water bill is going up by the minute. Someone told me to replace the internal shaft, etc...but I am not a plumber and not sure how to tackle...

Please advise, with some step by step information...is this easy for me to do by myself?? Thanks....

Old 03-31-04, 09:17 PM
Shut water off at main; the first valve in the water line as it passes through the floor or the wall.

Remove the handle on whatever side the temperature of the water is.

Remove the stem. Use faucet wrenches, try not to destroy square edges of stem with a pliers or channel locks.

Pull out stem, go to a local Service plumbing supply house, tell them that you need the faucet seat and seat washer, bibb screw for the stem you have.

Most times, the stem does not need replacement, just the wearable parts.

You will need a seat wrench to remove the seat inside of the faucet; do not leave seat in faucet, it is probably rough edged, which caused the seat washer to disentegrate to begin with.

Use plumber's grease on all threaded areas, and all moving parts of stem when reinstalling.

Make sure that stem is wound out in the open position when reinstalling stem. If this is not done, the stem will only partially screw into faucet housing, thus causing shortened stem travel for opening and closing of valve, and a potential leak inside of the wall that can go unnoticed.

Snug stem back into faucet, reinstall chrome trim for stem along with handle, and test for proper operation.

[SIZE=3]Make sure that brass bibb (seat) screw is tight holding seat washer to stem. Bibb screws can loosen up through operation of stem over time.[/SIZE]

Old 04-10-04, 05:08 PM
J
This worked like an absolute dream...thanks for the great advice. Never did I know I would be taking apart my shower one piece at a time....

Old 04-10-04, 05:17 PM
No Problamo!

Thanks for the follow up

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: