1955 toilet problems

Old 06-22-04, 12:18 PM
Unhappy 1955 toilet problems

Need help from some of you old guys out there. I am working on an toilet made in 1955, don't know the maker, this was the only stamp I have found so far.
The problem is, I can not get it to seal properly when it flushes. I have replaced the complete flush valve and gaskets. Here is the kicker. On the bottom of the flush valve is a brass fitting with a dome shaped attachment. Looks kind of like one half of a gyroscope, if that helps. At the bottom of the support arms there is a place where the one and only bolt screws in from the bottom of the toilet, secureing the tank to toilet (no other bolts go through the tank to bowl). This bolt has a washer on it to seal the bowl portion, the brass ring is beveled and "almost" the same size as the hole in the top of the bowl where the tank sits down on it. However, this seems to be where the water leaks out when flushed. I have tried to place a normal American Standard tank to bowl seal here, but it didn't work. Even went as far as trying sealicon, but that did seem to do the job either.
Does anyone have an idea of what type of toilet this is? What I need to get to seal it? Where I may be able to get the parts? I looked at the local hardware store and didn't see anything that looked like it would work.
I know I could replace the whole thing, but would like to see if I can get it to work. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-04, 06:02 PM
I have done this one time in Cincinnati, Ohio, and none of the old time plumbing supply houses had them, no one.

Use a wax ring. It will seal and conform to your dimensions.

I did this 9 years ago, still holding. I know this because I still do work for the couple.

Old 06-24-04, 10:39 AM
Sounds like it may just work. I will have to give it a try and will get back to you to let you know how it works.

Thanks,

Old 07-01-04, 12:51 PM
Thumbs up

Well, didn't get to try the wax ring trick. The owner agreed it was time to replace the toilet, 48 years of service seemed like a good number. However, I will put this idea into my bag of tricks and see if I ever need it.

Thanks to all.