Under mounting a ceramic sink to a marble top

Old 07-05-04, 03:48 PM
kailua
Visiting Guest
Angry Under mounting a ceramic sink to a marble top

Looking for recommendations for cementing a ceramic sink (undermount) to a marble counter top. Two professionals have done it and both failed to hold.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-04, 09:45 PM
High density 2 part epoxy would be my first thought; don't have a name for the product though.

Are they using wood supports from the bowl to the floor of cabinet base for a minimum of 24 hours to make sure the two do not separate from the word go?

Old 07-07-04, 06:25 AM
belinda sue
Visiting Guest
When my marble and granite installers undermount sinks, as in your setting, they use sink hangers or mounters. These are metal supports that rest on your cabinet frame, front to back, and support the rim of the sink. This can be accomplished with 1 x 2 wooden supports as well. In some instances, a bead of silicone caulk between the sink rim and the stone will hold the sink in place once the plumbing is secured. However, prior to plumbing you need to support the sink until the silicone cures and the plumbing is in place. The undermount clips that come with the sink are basically useless.

Another option would be to secure a piece of plywood to the bottom of the marble, with a cutout slightly larger than the full sink size. You could then use the mounting clips that come with the sink by securing them to the plywood. Attach the plywood to the marble with silicone caulk and allow to cure. Do not use a petroleum based product, such as construction adhesive, to attach the plywood. Petroleum based products can cause staining of the marble.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-04, 06:57 PM
hi, Just Had the same problem. I cut 2 2x3's and mounted them under the counter from front to back on the sides of the area where the new sink would be. I secured the 2x3's with a cleate on each end fastened to the front and back of the inside of the cabinet. I held the sink in place using the brackets I had and fastened them to the 2x3 I installed. If you don't have the brackets you could use Four pieces of wood to hold up the sink. You may have to shim a little to make all this work.
Good Luck Woodbutcher