Bathroom sink strainer

Old 07-16-04, 12:34 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Bathroom sink strainer

Is it possible to purchase a strainer that can be installed in place of the pop up valve stopper in a bathroom sink? I rarely need to stop up the drain, and thought having a strainer to catch any hair and other FOD would serve a much more useful purpose. My current popup is looking ratty from the invariable corrosion that seems to occur with the cheap materials used, so while I'm looking to change it, I thought I'd change it for the better.
I haven't seen anything like that in the usual home improvement stores, but they must be available somewhere, having seen them in public bathrooms.
Do anyone sell a screw on strainer that could be directly swapped in for the popup ring?

Old 07-16-04, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should be able to find a strainer that will fit. Just remove the pop-up and snap the strainer in. Look around.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 07-16-04, 05:20 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As MS suggested, a pop-in strainer shouldnt be too difficult to find...- but a 'screw-in' type will be, since there is nowhere for a screw in type to be screwed in.....(sounds wierd, but I hope you get the meaning). There is no 'screw hole' in the drain to accomodate what you want. A drop in would be more feasible. IE, like my old bathtub......

Old 07-16-04, 08:06 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Picture
This is in a public bathroom sink-

From what I could tell, this is screwed in; is that part of the basin that the strainer screws into? I can see threads in there, and the strainer itself is a really heavy duty item; must be at least 1/8" thick.
Is this type of thing only available as part of the sink?

Even though I'd much rather have that heavy duty type, if I could find something that just spring-clips in, that would probably work too, if I could just figure out where they sell them-

Old 07-17-04, 08:29 AM
Looking at that picture, it looks like it screws into the flange itself.
How does the pop up valve stopper, stop the water in that current set-up? - From below.... I dont see it.
Originally, I thought that there would be a screw hole in the centre of the drain for the strainer, but that set up is different.
If there is thread on the inside of the flange (Im presuming), Im not sure how a clip-in strainer would work.
Can you unscrew that one and bring it along to your HD/Lowes stores for something?
May take some searching!!

Old 07-17-04, 09:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
http://www.siouxchief.com/B_Product_...GroupID=551950 Try this link. Under site navigation at top of page, click on lav/sink/tub.Not sure if they sell single,as they quote case prices but at least you can do a better search. Good luck and post back.

Old 07-17-04, 10:51 AM
trendar
Visiting Guest
Actually, the picture isn't of my own sink, it's from a sink at work, which is basically what I was looking to get. There's no stopper capability on that one, but that's fine for my purposes.

majakdragon, that does look exactly like what may be in that sink; now if I can find a local source that'll sell it on a onesies basis, I should be set! I'll print it out and show it around town to see if anyone's seen the suspect.
I guess the question is, does it work with a standard size home bathroom sink? Not sure if maybe the diameters are different or not. Is there such thing as a commercial vs. residential sink?

Old 07-17-04, 11:21 AM
http://www.siouxchief.com/B_Product_...GroupID=552100
Im pretty sure Ive that 3prong type at HD.
That (if the prongs are correct size), should be able to 'click' onto the threads of your drain...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: