How to mount copper undermout sink?

Old 07-21-04, 12:20 PM
MGONH
Visiting Guest
How to mount copper undermout sink?

I'm thinking of purchasing a small size copper bar sink. It says it can be top mounted or undermounted. It comes w/no clips or brackets. How should this be undermounted under granite countertops? I mean, how do you actually do it? Also, if the drain opening in the sink is 1.5", what kind of, and how should the drain fitting be installed. (Doesn't come w/this either.)

Thanks.

Old 07-23-04, 08:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would say that the copper sink would have to be installed with the countertop turned upside down before assembly, using a 2 part expoxy that will bond copper to granite, using the weight of the sink to hold the bond while curing, then flip over after 24 hours and install the countertop combined with the sink already glued.

As far as the drain assembly, I would either contact the manufacturer to get a copper grid strainer or specific drain assembly that compliments the sink, not look like a drastic alternative.

Old 07-23-04, 11:24 AM
MGONH
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply Dunbar. Will that epoxy hold for years to come? Are undermount sinks typically installed w/clips or brackets - ie. a kitchen sink? Is it a combination of epoxy and clips/brackets?

Old 07-23-04, 01:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, in my years as a plumber, I have seen numerous applications regarding this.

I have also seen where the epoxy broke, later to find out that the homeowner plunged the sink and caused the seal to break. I had proof also; grass in the sink.

Sounds funny but where the plunger was out in the garage, had grass on it, I was called to unclog the sink, the sink installer had to come back for free. I told him about it, and just as expected, he got furious. So downward pressure can make them break free.

You can glue wood pieces to the bottom of granite, then make tabs that slide over to the bottom of sink. Never plunge one of these applications when dealing with a clogged drain.

I would suggest dealing with a company that deals with these applications and ask thier expert advice regarding mounting.

Granite is risky to drill, let alone anchor to.

Old 07-24-04, 05:42 PM
MGONH
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of your insight. Sounds like a combination of epoxy and some sort of bracket, glued to the granite or mounted to the cabinets, may be best. And no plunging!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: