toilet runs constantly

Old 08-03-04, 12:51 PM
tycas
Visiting Guest
Question toilet runs constantly

our toilet is always running and upon inspection it seems like the bottom of the flush valve is constantly flowing. not knowing anything about toilets, is this normal? if not do i need to replace the whole thing? also, i've turned off the water from the knob under the toilet and i thought that was supposed to stop the water flow (i read that once that was shut off, flushing the toilet will drain the water from the tank and bowl, and not allow it to refill), but that has not happened, the toilet still refills. is this just more trouble headed my way? Any answers would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-04, 02:23 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: tycas

Based on what the problems are, as you described them, there are two problems to be concerned with. The water shut off valve and the tanks flush valve.

The flush valve is the flapper or ball that drops down to stop the water flowing from the tank into the bowl. If that is what you mean by flush valve.

If the water continues to flow into the bowl, replace the ball or the flapper valve, whichever it has. Be sure there is enough free play in the chain or plastic lift strap to allow the flapper valve to fully seat.

If the incoming water cannot be fully shut off by closing the **** off valve, you will likely need to replace that valve also. If you cannot do so, hire a professional plumber to do that aspect of the job.

Replacing the water shut off valve depends upon the type of water piping system and the materials used in the piping system as to how this aspect of the job gets done.

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list of current questions automatically.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: