Toilet flushing while filling

Old 09-22-04, 10:48 AM
vadim
Visiting Guest
Toilet flushing while filling

I have an American Standard, and it leaks (flushes?) while it's filling. I replaced the disc that seals the opening to make sure it's not the cause. No go. The symptom is that when it's full, no leak. When I add water by the tank by hand, no leak. But when I let the floater fall and the water fill by normal inlet, it's flowing down as in a flush and subsequently continues filling/flushing for a really really long time. Hmmm.

Thanks,

-Vadim

Old 09-22-04, 02:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like the flapper (disk) is not closing when the water empties out of the tank. Try adjusting the chain so it "just" allows a good seal. Flush and watch it. Also, the flapper may be hanging up and not sealing when the water is out of the tank. Check these things out and post back. Good luck.

Old 09-22-04, 07:52 PM
vadim
Visiting Guest
Clues

Thanks for the suggestions. I found another toilet of the same model. Apparently, it's supposed to flow into the bowl as the tank is filling (seems rather water-wasteful to me, but it's an old high-flow toilet . The problem is that the tank is not filling as quickly as it does in the other to compensate. There is a grey box that the water supply goes into and sprays out of the bottom of when filling. In the broken toilet, it's flowing very slowly. I disconnected the intake of the grey box, and water flows fine. So something in this magic grey box is restricting the flow too much. It's sealed, so I can't get inside to peek. I guess I'll just replace the entire box if I can buy another.

Thanks,

-Vadim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: