Bathroom sink clogged

Old 09-27-04, 08:06 PM
ashen1
Visiting Guest
Question Bathroom sink clogged

The sink and bath tub in our bathroom clogged all the time, We are very careful, always pick up hair but they still clogged. I over up the drains and found slimmy black jelly stuff. What can we do to avoid clogging every few months. Is the water needed to be soften and what are those slimmy stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-04, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the drains are clogging due to lack of a vent.......or another fixture is backing up into them.....possibly a slow draining main line?

No way to know.....since it is speculation. There could be numerous possible scenarios.

Old 09-28-04, 06:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 532 Votes on 489 Posts
The slimey stuff may be soap scum, body oil & lotions with a little hair for flavor. All that stuff builds up normally but it should not clog that often. When you say you "opened up the drain" did you pull the stopper out of the sink or did you take the trap out and clean it?

Old 09-28-04, 07:55 PM
ashen1
Visiting Guest
I pull out the sink trapper, clean the drain PVC pipe (the U shaped one). They are all filled with slimy stuff. Is there any chemical or biodegradable stuff that i can use instead of the mechanicl method. On the other hand, my kitchen sink does not clog in 4 years.

Old 09-30-04, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a normal build-up of black algae gunk.
Easiest way to remove it is with a good non-caustic enzyme-based drain cleaner like DrainCare.
DrainCare won't harm your sink or pipes, but it WILL eat out that "organic" stuff (hair, grease, soap scum, etc.) overnight. Just follow the directions on the jug.
Run warm water into the drain and pour in the DrainCare. Allow it to eat overnight, and then flush it all down with very hot water. If it is really clogged, you may have to do it more than once, but you will be amazed how well it works. Been using it for the exact same thing for years. Zaps it out every time.
Good Luck!
Mike