Pathetic shower

Old 10-17-04, 03:51 PM
JoanF
Visiting Guest
Question Pathetic shower

The plumbing in my shower is a mess. It's a cheap system (put in house b/4 I bought it). There is a tub/shower diverter and after I moved in it wouldn't go to shower so I dissembled and replaced the plastic guts of the shower/tub handle. It worked for a few weeks. I took it apart again and put it back again. Then decided to just leave it on shower all the time since it ran fine and heck, I never really use the bath! Sad to say that was like that for a few years. No problem. The past month the shower pressure has gotten really bad whether it's hot or cold. So I took apart the up/down thing again, cleaned it, put it back. The tub runs fine, but the shower doesn't still. Yes, I took off the head and even then it still has low pressure. ARRGH!

I wonder if I should just replace the whole darn system since it's given me grief from the start. Is it advisable that I hire someone to do this? Can a do-it-yourselfer like me install a new shower system? I'm not really confident.

Your expert advice is welcome and appreciated.

JoanF
A teacher who needs a good strong shower in the morning!

Old 10-17-04, 05:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
JoanF
Welcome to the DIY site,

Look at this page from The DIY how to pages to help you decide if you feel qualified to do this repair.
http://www.plumberpages.com/baths/plumbshowers.htm

your really only interested in the directions numbered 3, 4, 5, on installing your bath or shower valve. You will have to buy a new shower/tub setup.
Good Luck and post back

Old 10-17-04, 05:30 PM
JoanF
Visiting Guest
Wink thanks!

Whew, those directions seem overwhelming! The young guy at the home improvement store made it seem so easy. Hmmm.

Thanks for the advice. I wish I could do something in the meantime while I prepare for hiring a professional.

Thanks again! I'm glad I found this site.

Old 10-21-04, 05:50 PM
JoanF
Visiting Guest
Temporary fix...!

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I bled the pipes which I read from another post (where you turn off the water at the source, turn on the faucets, and let them go on full force then turn the water back on aagin) and the situation is MUCH improved! I also now turn the diverter each time after a shower or bath. the water pressure in the bathroom ovrall has improved. So, your advice helped fix things for a while...still looking to get a new shower system! Thanks for being here and helping me and others! this is great!

Old 10-21-04, 07:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yours is the type story we like to hear. Glad it worked for you and we'll be here next time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: