toilet tank still losing water

Old 12-01-04, 07:14 AM
jesseboy
Visiting Guest
toilet tank still losing water

O.K. I read all the general instructions about fixing my leak. I replaced the flapper twice with a Kohler (the toilet is a Kohler) and a general flapper for all models from Home Depot. I checked the rim of the flush valve with my finger to be sure that it is not rough or pitted.. Still, the tank loses water and about every 15 minutes the fill valve fills the tank again (and again and again). Help.Dennis

Old 12-01-04, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Click on link below it might give you a idea what is wrong.

Toilet tank leak problem and answers

Old 02-10-08, 02:34 PM
R
water in tank leaking out

The water in the tank leaks out even when the shut on/off valve is off. No water on the floor. It is an american standard made in mexico. When the tank fills it fills to the water level, then leaks out.

What do I need to replace?

Thank You,

Redfisher's Wife

Old 02-10-08, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I think we have a cross post here. Redfisher you should start a new one rather than hijacking one. It makes the information flow more smoothly to the original poster. We'll catch it. Do you use the tablet chlorine tablets. If so, their residue will be granular and will catch up under the flapper and cause leaks into the bowl.

Old 02-10-08, 04:43 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi Jesse,
Make sure the hose from the fill valve to the overflow is installed correctly. The end of the hose to the overflow should not go inside the pipe but end over the top of it. If the hose goes into the overflow it will siphon the tank out and give the same problem as a leaking flapper.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 08-19-12, 10:53 AM
A
Thanks Woodbutcher....

Make sure the hose from the fill valve to the overflow is installed correctly. The end of the hose to the overflow should not go inside the pipe but end over the top of it. If the hose goes into the overflow it will siphon the tank out and give the same problem as a leaking flapper.
Good Luck Woodbutcher
Thought I knew everything about fixing toilets. After replacing the flapper, which did not work, replaced the wax ring; always so much fun. Broke two gaskets on he straight pipe water line from early 60's, that are no longer available. Replaced the valve, as it had an obsolete fitting on the valve side. After all that, still losing water from the tank.

Really glad I came upon this forum, and Woodbutcher' post; joined just to say Thanks...this was the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: