Leaky tub faucet

Old 12-03-04, 07:28 PM
MattDan
Visiting Guest
Leaky tub faucet

Ok, please help guys. I've got a leaky tub faucet, and instead of trying to replace washers/packing, my wife bought a new one. I can't return it, so I'm trying to replace the whole setup, including valve body. It's a two handle unit with a shower head. The faucet has the pull-out shower diverter. I ran into a problem. My old system has a (i think) twin tee diverter going up to the shower head, and I can't figure out how to get everything apart without really tearing stuff up (my wall, for one.) Do I have to take off the pipe going up to the shower head at both ends? It's pretty rigid copper line with no coupling nuts to make it easy. I think it's soldered, but can't really tell. Anyway, I'm sure somebody knows more than me, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Old 12-03-04, 08:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Well you have to cut the copper riser to the shower head, you can sweat it back together with a coupling, you accomplish the same with the water lines, with spout you use new pipe and fitting for it.

All this can be done with limited wall opening.

Old 12-05-04, 03:26 PM
orion566
Visiting Guest
leaky shower faucet

Can anyone help me? I am a novice at plumbing repair and don't even know the names of the parts.
But...the faucet portion is leaking warm water..I took off the handles and now see the stems sticking out..I removed the bolt that screws onto the stems.
I don't know what to do next! I don't see any washers or packing material in the bolt area.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-05-04, 03:33 PM
orion566
Visiting Guest
leaky shower faucet

where and how do you cut that copper pipe, I dont understand how that would help...the pipe looks intact, how is it leaking?
Thanks for any help..

Old 12-05-04, 03:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like you have a standard dual handle compression faucet.
Turn the water main off.
Remove the valve stem retaining cap again, and remove the valve. Replace the rubber washer on the end of the stem, and the o-ring on the valve if necessary.
Check the valve seat (the brass part that the rubber washer seals against) with a flashlight and your fingertip for pitting and corrosion. If it's pitted, get another valve seat. You'll also probably need an inexpensive valve seat tool.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: