Leaky Toilet

Old 12-11-04, 08:19 AM
ronni_e
Visiting Guest
Leaky Toilet

I am having a small toilet problem. It appears to be leaking but not water. It seems to be leaking air. It makes a constant slight hiss. If I raist up on the ball the his gets much quiter.

Im guessing maybe a gasket has finally went bad and is leaking air? Thus when I raise the ball in height it puts more pressure on the gasket and reduces the noise?

Does this sound logical? If so what is the cost involved with repair and how would I do it myself?

Old 12-11-04, 09:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The hiss wouldn't be air, unless there is air in your cold water supply lines. If there were air in them, your faucets would be "spitting", so I imagine that it's a very slight water leak.
Sounds like your toilet tank water inlet valve is failing.
Replace it with a Fluidmaster 400A float-cup type (about $6-$8 bucks, depending upon where you buy it).
Just follow the illustrated directions that come with it.
Coincidentally, I just installed a new 400A on my downstairs toilet today. Easy.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 12-12-04, 02:39 AM
ronni_e
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I didnt know if it would be air or not but thats what it sounded like. On the model you mentioned is that pretty much a replacement that works for most or all toilets? Will it come with a new flush ball as well?

Old 12-12-04, 05:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, the Fluidmaster 400A fits most all toilets. It doesn't have a float ball. It has a float cup and an adjustable twist base for raising or lowering the float cup assembly to adjust for the depth of the toilet tank. Everything that you need comes with it.
Just follow the easy installation directions.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 12-12-04, 07:23 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
While your at it replacing the fill valve, do replace the flapper to, this could be the cause of it turning on and off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: