Toilet not filling with water at all

Old 12-20-04, 08:28 AM
swarngill
Visiting Guest
Toilet not filling with water at all

Hello. This morning suddenly my toilet in the upstairs bathroom flushed, but did not fill up with water. There is no sound of water trying to fill at all...it just seems as if water is not making it up into the tank. The valve is definitely open, and all the other plumbing upstairs works, and the downstairs' toilet works as well. Any suggestions about what is going on?

Thank you,
Swarn Gill

Old 12-20-04, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
swarngill, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
It appears that your fill valve bit the dust. Turn off the water supply under the toilet and disconnect the supply tube that goes to the tank. (flush first and have a container for excess water to drain into). Hold a rag over the valve and quickly turn on and off. This will tell you if the supply is working. I would replace the fill valve with a Fluid Master 400A fill valve. About 6 to 8 dollars at home improvement stores. Directions are included in the package for installation. Good luck. Reply back with any further questions.

Old 12-20-04, 09:32 AM
swarngill
Visiting Guest
No water coming from water supply

majakdragon

Thanks for your prompt reply! I turned off the water supply and I disconnected the supply tube from the bottom of the tank. After I did that I tried turning the water supply back on, but no water was coming out. Did I need to disconnect the supply tube from the water supply as well? I turned the water supply all the way back on and nothing at all came out. The problem must be somewhere else, but where?

Thanks again!

Swarn Gill

Old 12-20-04, 09:56 AM
If you turned the water on with the supply tube disconnected from the toilet tank and no water came out, then you will have to remove the tube from the supply valve and do the same test. If still no water comes out, you should be able to open the valve handle and look into the valve to see if maybe the valve is not actually opening. If it isn't, you will have to shut off the water elsewhere (maybe as far back as the meter) and remove the valve and replace it. Good luck and reply back with any further questions or problems.

Old 12-20-04, 11:49 AM
swarngill
Visiting Guest
Clarification please...

Majakdragon,

I disconnected the tube from the water supply...still no water. I have no remove the handle yet, because I wanted to make sure of something. You say that the valve may not actually be opening...but if the water supply valve was on, and then the toilet stopped working, why would the valve not be opening? Does the valve open and close automatically when you flush. I thought if the water supply valve is open, water is getting to the the bottom of the tank and then is allowed to flow when the toilet is flushed and the pressure barrier is released. I have heard of threads getting stripped on valves, but that should mean that the water supply valve cannot be closed since it was already in the open position. You may already be able to tell I don't know much about this. :-) I just want to make sure. Also, when you open the valve handle, do you mean just unscrew the handle from the valve...if I unscrew it when the water supply is closed and look in, you are saying I will be able to see whether the valve is working...would the valve be open if the water supply valve is closed. Are we talking about another valve here? Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,
Swarn Gill

Old 12-20-04, 12:15 PM
swarngill
Visiting Guest
More facts that might help

Okay, well I think I figured what you wanted me to do next. It loosened the nob and the little bit that was attached and a there was opening big enough for me to look into. Even with a flash light I was unable to see much. When I removed the handle from the water supply valve, I had the valve turned off. Unscrewing it, might have opened it again, but I am not sure. Anyway, as I said, I couldn't really see anything. I took a pen in to see if there was anything obsructing the pipe so I could maybe tell if something was closed. the part of the supply valve sticking out of the wall is about 1.5 inches, and about 5 inches of the pen went in before it hit metal. I am not sure if the pipe just curves downward at that point, or not. That could have been what I was running into. But moving the pen around it didn't feel like a curve. However whatever was there is about 3.5 inches into the wall. If that is a valve that is not closing, what causes it to open. If that valve has to be replaced, it doesn't seems like that is something your less than average house own should be doing, if you have to go into the wall like that.

Cheers,
Swarn Gill

Old 12-20-04, 12:32 PM
swarngill
Visiting Guest
more info

Also I don't know if this makes any difference. But it drop to like 2 degrees Fahrenheit last night. Is there anyway, the pipes to one toilet could be frozen, even if the other pipes aren't and even though there were two people who used the toilet early this morning?

Just thought I would throw in some extra info...

Thanks for all your help so far.

Cheers,
Swarn

Old 12-20-04, 12:40 PM
If you don't have water AT the valve then it must have frozen. You will have to trace the line back to where it goes into another pipe. You didn't say if you had a crawlspace or basement. If you can trace this line back, try heating it with a blow dryer, starting as close to the toilet as you can. Make sure the valve is back on the supply line and open and that you hook the lines back up to the toilet. Thats the only way you won't get soaked if the frozen part thaws and water starts flowing.You should be able to touch the pipe and find a much colder place on it and that will be where the ice starts. Reply back with any other problems or successes.

Old 12-21-04, 08:20 AM
swarngill
Visiting Guest
Toilet working again

Well, it definitely had to be frozen pipes. I forgot to tell you that we were even without power that night where it dropped down to 2 F for over 2 hours. That probably didn't help. It is our first winter in this old house, so we need to get to know its subtleties. :-) I am not sure how effective the blow dryer was, since I am not sure I had it in the right place. The temperature outdoors warmed up to near freezing last night and thus the toilet started working in the morning. Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,
Swarn Gill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: