running tank, receding water

Old 12-28-04, 01:47 AM
bushido
Visiting Guest
Exclamation running tank, receding water

Hi all, I have read many of the threads and I haven't matched my problems to any others yet. My problems seem pretty simple but I'm not too sure so here I go:

1: When toilet flushes the bowl begins to fill but it's obvious that the water recedes while filling and doesn't fill as it should ( clogging often now because of low water in bowl ).

2: Every 20 mins or so I hear the tank refilling for about 30 seconds and the water level in the bowl still recedes even if the tank is full.

I have a Kohler 1 piece type modern toilet if you need specifics.

Thanks for any input in this matter...Happy New Year !!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bushido, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
1. Your bowl should NOT fill. There is a trap built into your toilet bowl. Picture it as a U from the bowl to the drain line. If water were to start filling the bowl I would say you had a clog. As the water comes in from the tank it goes through holes in the rim of the bowl which gives the swirling action to help clean the sides of the bowl. When it fills enough to be the same level as the rear opening to the drain it spills over and goes down the drain. Take a bucket of water and slowly pour it into the bowl. The water level will not rise because as it seeks it's own level in the trap, the excess pours into the drainpipe. If the water burps and/or bubblles as it is flushing you probably have a clogged vent pipe. This condition will slow the draining because the water needs air to flow. If the vent is plugged this causes the drainline to pull a vacuum trying to get enough air to properly drain. You may have to go onto the roof and look down the vent line for obstructions. Clean out all you can by hand and flush with a garden hose.
2. You probably have a leaking flapper. The water slowly leaks into the bowl and the fill valve "senses" the need for water and refills the tank to the proper level. Take a cup or two of coffee (liquid only, no grounds) and pour it into the tank. Watch the water in the bowl. If the flapper is leaking, the colored coffee will show up in the bowl.
Check these things out. Good luck and reply back with any other questions.

Old 12-28-04, 05:16 PM
bushido
Visiting Guest
thanks Dragon

got a new flapper valve ( pain to find because of toilet model ) that works great. When the snow and Ice clears off the roof I'll take a peek at the vent stack.

Thanks for your input, it's very much appreciated !!!

Old 12-28-04, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I may never drink coffee again. LOL