toilet flange concrete floor

Old 12-29-04, 08:09 AM
randy24g
Visiting Guest
toilet flange concrete floor

I'm redoing the bathroom on the lower level of a bi-level home. Since I was installing new linoleum flooring I decided to replace the wax ring around for the toilet since I had no idea how old it was. Since the bolts holding the toilet were rusted I figured it was ancient. When I finally got the toilet removed the flange came off with it. It appears to have never been attached to the concrete floor in the 1st place or it may have been soldered or plumbers puttied on or something since there is a 1/4 inch lip (the lip is metal) extending above the floor. I know I need to replace the flange but with what type to a metal pipe? Do I need to remove the 1/4 inch lip before I install the new flange and if so, what's the best way to accomplish this? How do I attach the new flange to the concrete floor?

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Old 12-29-04, 08:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
randy24g, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
I have included a link for you to see what is available. You may need to break off the lip if it makes the new flange sit up off the floor. The new flange should be attached to the floor with Tapcon screws. You will also have to buy the masonary bit for the size screws you get (they only come with the screws if you buy a whole box). The flange I thought would work for you is in the link. #rd row down and 3rd one to the right. It appears to have a rubber seal and goes inside the cast iron.
Make sure what the inside diameter of the pipe is so you buy the right size flange. Good luck.

http://doityourself.com/store/closetflanges.htm

Old 12-29-04, 08:57 AM
randy24g
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for the quick response. Off to Lowes/HD I go.

Old 12-29-04, 03:08 PM
randy24g
Visiting Guest
Got the flange hard to get in

I bought the flange you suggested. I trimmed off the excess lip, however, I'm having a really hard time getting it all the way down. I triend lubricating it with a water based lubricant since there is rubber on the end which helped a little. I got it about 3/4 of the way down and can't get it to go down anymore. The bend isn't the problem because that is about 4-5 inces below the opening. Any suggestions?

Old 12-29-04, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sandpaper the pipe and the flange to get them to fit.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: