Tub Drain Stop Stuck

Old 01-10-05, 10:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Drain Stop Stuck

My 43 year old tub is acting up. The tub is equipped with a brass drain & stop assembly. Gave the kids a bath last night and went to flip down the stopper valve lever to drain the tub but nothing happened. Took the lever assembly out and the threaded rod/hook has come disconnected from the stopper . Is there a trick to hooking this back up? I might be bailing out the tub with a bucket and replacing the assembly with a new PVC one if I can't fish it back on.

If I go the replacement route, what's the easiest way to get the drain basket out of the tub? Is there a special tool? Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-05, 03:26 PM
Have you taken out the bucket that this rod connect to yet?

Might be just needing to be reattached back onto the trip lever that operates the stopper.

Old 01-10-05, 04:31 PM
I took it apart (trap, extension pipe, etc.) in the basement and worked the stopper loose. Removed the stopper and cleaned it up with some 320 grit along with the inside of the brass pipe. Reattached the stopper to the rod and closed the gap on the rod so it won't pop off the stopper again. Replaced the clogged and rusted trap and extension pipe with PVC and I'm good to go !

Thanks for the reply!