Flapper issue?

Old 01-18-05, 06:44 AM
Joellog
Visiting Guest
Flapper issue?

Hi guys,great forum I am glad I found it seems like a ton of info,I hope I can contribute in the future.Recently I changed the flapper on the downstairs toilet and the first flush gives me 1/4 waste removal,the second flush sucks it all.Its a corner back 1.6 gallon flush i believe.I have the same issues with the upstairs one which is a standard 1.6 gal flush but I havent done anything to that.I adjusted the chain and it still does the same thing.The flusher is the red fluidmaster one,could it be i need one that stays open longer?There is plenty of water pressure to fill the tank so I am at a loss.Could it be the flapper or should I try your other reccomendations located on the rest of the site.
Thanx
Joel
p.s. if I sound confused I take care of 2 toddlers and they are making me nuts lol

Old 01-18-05, 07:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Joellog,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You didn't say if you replaced the flapper due to leaking or other reason. What may be the problem is the holes in the rim. They get plugged with mineral deposits and restrict the flow of water into the bowl which slows down the flushing action. You can look under the rim with a handheld mirror. They can be cleaned with a bent coat hanger. You may want to start by shutting off the supply valve under the toilet, lift the flapper to drain all of the water that will go out. Pour a cup or so of vinegar into the hole where the flapper seats and let it sit for a while. This will soften any deposits.
Other common faults for your problem is chain adjustment. Leave only enough slack to allow the flapper to seal. (you said you addressed this). It is also possible that the water level is too low in the tank. Usually there is a mark in the tank for proper water level. Lastly, there IS a difference in flappers. The ones for the old water eater toilets will not work properly in the newer 1.6 gallon toilets.
Hope one of these ideas solves your problem. Good luck.

Old 01-18-05, 09:23 AM
Joellog
Visiting Guest
Thanx:)

I forgot about the deposit thing,we had a ton of sediment in the water and that maybe clogging the holes,I will look into that,gotta find a small mirror.I changed the flapper because the old one ocasionally didnt seal right and I had a deposit in the float assembly that I didnt know came apart till I read the directions on the new one lol.Anyway I will look into that and see what I find.
Thanx for the tip
Joel

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: